MCS awakening

5 comments
We had a bit of a setback this weekend. Chris arrived Saturday morning in a U-haul filled with mattresses, kitchen supplies, and radio equipment. We drove the 20 minutes to our next rental home with eager anticipation. We were beginning a new chapter. One filled with stability, improved health, and a return to “normal” life as a family. Eagerly my daughter and I set out all of the medications in the kitchen. We had an entire pantry to set them in! No more living out of suitcases. The kids were ecstatic. 2 hours into the move Megan noticed some new rashes spreading rapidly. Within four hours Brandon came running to us with a bloody nose. (We have not seen a bloody nose in the 2 months since we started the ketaconazole nasal spray.) Soon he had a second one and by bedtime had a total of 4. My heart was sinking. By 2 in the morning I found myself unable to sleep due to a severe tightening in my chest. By morning I noticed unexplainable “cuts” all over my hands. Kristen woke up with a sore throat. A couple of the other children woke up with labored breathing. Colin had a strange welt on his back. The back of his hands were breaking out. We called our doctor and also talked with the woman who had re-located to Arizona after a mold exposure in the Virgin Islands. She is about a year ahead of us with all of this. From these conversations we determined the cause to be chemical rather than mold. We wiped down a utility closet with white vinegar after we found weed killer on the shelf. Weed killer is particularly dangerous to immune compromised individuals like ourselves. (An interesting note: the plastic bottle does not “contain” the toxins. This is why it is important to keep all pesticides out of the indoor home environment.) We moved all of our mattresses away from the new carpet in the bedrooms and into the tiled main living area. This moved us away from possible formaldehyde exposure. By the end of the Super Bowl it was clear that not only were the Arizona Cardinals going down, we were too. We moved our mattresses to the backyard and a number of us slept outside Sunday night. We were all able to breathe better by morning but my rashes were escalating as were Megan’s. We stayed outside most of the morning and still the rashes were spreading. The owner came to the house and offered to remove all the new carpeting, wipe down the house in vinegar, whatever we needed. He told us the area around the house had been sprayed with the weed killer a few days before we moved in. And several weeks ago the home had been sprayed for termites inside of the house. Mystery solved. The inside and outside were uninhabitable for our family. It takes 6 months for the outside pesticides to lose their toxicity in the immediate environment. Far longer inside. We are now in the elite group of those who suffer from MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity). This is a common diagnosis for those who have had a high level of mold exposure. Our 4353 genetic pattern pre-disposes us to this. Chris does not have this pattern so he will do better with pesticides. We knew we could not afford to stay another night. Chris stayed behind to sort through the situation while we drove to Benson to a hotel proven to be a safe haven for us. This is where I am as I write this and I know nothing about our next step. I do know that next time we will ask about pesticides as well as prior water damage in the home. I know that someone reading this may do the same. I am devastated but unwilling to allow this to deter us from our goal of restored health for our family.

5 comments :

  1. Hi Andrea,
    I am so thankful you discovered what was causing you problems in this rental. I knew you were diligent in checking for mold. I guess we are all learning with each step we take. Pesticides and herbicides are very unsafe too. I pray you will find a safe place to live in and you all will heal. I am glad Chris is down there with you all now. Hang in thre. God is with you all and He cares very deeply about you and all that is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    You are the STRONGEST person I have ever know. I am so proud of you to keep fighting. I miss you and have sent a prayer chain to everyone I know. God Bless
    Chris Hillmann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Andrea,
    I am so sorry to hear about that..but YOU continue to amaze me. So tell me when I go to rent MY new place for the boys and I, i need to ask to have the house tested for mold? Is there a specific test to ask for? I know you have so much going on, but this is something that I would have never asked before. Are you able to take bubble baths, or so you only use organic soap? We miss you put here, and talk about you all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, I am so amazed at this unending story. The challenges that you must face-- day in and day out is unbelievable at times!!! Your strength is unparrelled. Your ability to see each new challenge as just another life lesson everyday just astounds me. You are such a God given wonder. Oh I am sure you have your moments, probably lots of moments--when you are so overwhelmed. But girl, YOU ARE STRONG!!!! Your family is so lucky to have you!!! God is with you and your family!! You are helping so many people with your blog. I think about you all often. I sure miss the kids at school. The other day, I thought I saw Brandon walking away from me down the end of the hall, but then I remembered he was in AZ. I walk past Kaitlyn's desk everyday when I am in Mrs. Kern's class room., and I say a little prayer for you all. I miss seeing you in the school checking in on Collin. But I know you guys are getting healthier. Take care!!!!!!!!! Love, Wendy White (whitelilac89@comcast.net)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I understand completely, and have been moved to tears as I have just finished reading your blog. I cannot tell you how I understand....well...I would have to write a small book...
    I have so much to say, my mind is swimming! But for now I want you to know that I am praying for you and your family, and I wish I could have you all come and stay with me, and help you find a safe haven in the path of healing, even as a friend helped me out when I was at the beginning of my journey with MCS about 10 years ago (I am 31 now). I wish I still lived out in Colorado, in the mountains (my family and i have moved back to MI. a year ago, after living in CO. for about 5 years) and you could all come and stay with us!
    I have enjoyed both you and Chris on the radio for so many years, your voices are like those of familiar friends and make me feel at home wherever I may be.
    We haven't been listening to Chris Fabry live lately, but I am so thankful the Lord had us listen to it last night. It was such a blessing!!!
    I feel for you all more than you can know, and I am praying for you!
    I love the Rich Mullins quote: "Life is hard, but God is good. So life is good, because God is good.". He truly is~so faithful!
    :)

    ReplyDelete