Conviction

8 comments
When I watch the movie trailer (post from March 23), I cry every time at the ending. I hear this young woman's pain and relate. I know. I understand. But I didn't until I walked in her shoes.

Until our mold exposure I dismissed symptoms. I was quick to assume psychological issues when I heard of a chronic condition. My 11-year-old daughter Kaitlyn asked me a perceptive question after she watched the trailer. It hit me like Nathan's conversation with David in 2 Samuel.

"Mom, if it were someone else with mold would you have thought they were crazy?"

I thought of all the times I heard the words "stress" and "enabling." The doctors who told me my child needed a psychologist. The unbearable helplessness and isolation. I took a deep breath and answered, "I don't know honey. I honestly don't know."

The truth is I probably would have thought they were crazy. And I hate that.

I hope I come away from this experience a different person. Bigger inside. Softer. More willing to walk in another's shoes. Less apt to judge. Less critical.

Maybe I'll start today.

8 comments :

  1. We are so blessed by God, as hard as this type of situation is to be able to go through something like this, that we may be more understanding and loving of others. I am ever so thankful that God uses each and every situation He allows us to go through so that we may glorify Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    Thanks for sharing this site and your family's story. Following those "gut" instincts is so important, no matter how others view us.

    I look forward to seeing how it all unfolds!

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your transparency. Thank you. Your family is on my mind a lot. Thank you for all the information you have put on your blog. I cannot even imagine what you are going through or have in the past. We will pray for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Same here. God is so gracious and patient. I am so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you wrote is so true. If I was a person listening to my story I would think I was nuts. Now that we have gone through this experience I am more humble. It is crazy how God transforms us. I hope that I will be more understanding and willing to listen to others in the future. It is sad that such grief has to happen in order for me to change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea,Your blog is very inspiring to me. I am a mother of three boys who are suffering from severe allergies/asthma. My five year old has been very ill from complications of the strep virus. He has vasculitis and his blood counts are way out of wack.The Dr.'s at Duke University want him on antibiotics for a year. My gut is telling me to make a mighty move and de-toxify my home and my kids. However, I am so overwhelmed by all the info. and options. Where do I start?

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, trust your gut Meredith. It is your gift to your boys.I have been overwhelmed just as you are describing many many times.I suggest you start slowly. There is no rush to de-toxify your home. Pick one thing and do it. You will be surprised how much fun it can be when you work at it slowly. I would be concerned as well regarding the antibiotics for a year. This is where alternative medical help can offer a great deal. This too is VERY overwhelming but worth exploring through searches on the internet and asking friends. The overwhelming feelings are part of the journey. You will settle on something I have no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandma had a chronic illness for years. Everyone in the family, except my dear Grandpa, spent more time judging her then helping her. Doctors didn't believe her either - the kinds of tests we are getting today weren't even thought of then. So she was put on pain relievers and anti-depressants - it's all such a sad story. I was young, but, still, I listened to everyone's critisms and went along with them.

    Oh what we're learning, it is a privilege really. And I'm praying that we won't be forgetful Christians if God chooses to pull our family out of this.

    ReplyDelete