Mold and Type 1 Diabetes

7 comments
No doctor has told me that our mold exposure caused Colin's juvenile diabetes onset in June of 2007. I can't prove that it did. But there's no doubt in my mind. When we moved into our dream home in June of 2000 Colin was 6 months old. In light of the 7 older siblings who needed bedrooms Colin drew the short straw. We converted a large closet into a "Blue's Clue's" room. The closet was directly below the master bedroom shower where we would discover stachybotrys 8 years later. With the knowledge I have now I would never put a baby in an unventilated room. This is the reason I suggest opening windows whenever possible. Air circulation is critical. Within months after our move, Colin developed swollen adenoids. The pediatrician was undaunted by this and recommended surgery at age 8 if they were still swollen. I now know that swollen adenoids indicate a stress on the glands due to bacteria, virus, or fungi.

In May of 2007 we uncovered mold in the downstairs bathroom (located below Colin's original room). You will read this in "our story" which is located in the helpful links section of this blog. The mold was improperly remediated and all of us were exposed to high levels of toxic black mold. On June 24th (7 weeks after the exposure) my oldest daughter took Colin to a movie. She said he had to go to the bathroom numerous times. On June 25th we took Colin to a sporting event in Denver. We had to pull off the Interstate to let him go to the bathroom and then take him numerous times once we arrived. I was sure it was a bladder infection. He looked thin but he was a growing boy. The next day I took him to the doctor expecting a prescription for an antibiotic. We ended up in the emergency room.

Colin does amazingly well with his new life. Five shots a day and multiple finger pokes have somehow become routine. It's the other issues like numbness, migraines, rashes, and severe abdominal pain that get him down. These are slowly getting better. His pancreas won't get better. I hope for a cure one day. Perhaps his story will help others.

7 comments :

  1. Andrea,
    Are you familiar with Doug Kaufmann? He is an author of numerous books on health, and one of his main topics is fungus. He has a TV program where he talks about this often. He has written at least one or two books on the connection between mold and diabetes. Here's a link for you: http://www.knowthecause.com/Books/TheFungusLinktoDiabetes/tabid/91/Default.aspx
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you have written about mold and type 1 diabetes is of great interest to me. My daughter was diagnosed in 2009 when she was 2.5 years old. So far, I have no reason to think it was related to mold. We never saw mold in our house, and we also sold that house last year (and it passed all the buyers inspections). So I have no reason to suspect there was mold. I do know that she had a really bad virus and ran a high fever not too long before being diagnosed. I am inclined to think that people are predisposed to having type 1 and that viruses and other triggers (such as mold) are what cause the autoimmune diabetes to kick in and begin killing of islet cells in the pancreas. That is what I was taught in the hospital - but I am very open to learning new theories as to why this happens. Have you contacted the JDRF or ADA to discuss this with them?? Please post more about type 1 as you learn if there are any connections!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I understand there are a variety of triggers for type one. I've known some mothers to attribute their child's diagnosis to a vaccine, or a virus (which sounds like your experience). Doug Kaufmann has written a fascinating book titled "The Fungus Link to Diabetes" where he talks about fungus in foods contributing to the rise in this disease. I have not talked with JDRF or ADA about our experience.
    What's interesting about our story is that our dog was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes several years before Colin.
    We can talk more anytime. My direct email is andrea@chrisfabry.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son, an athlete who is on a soccer scholarship at college was just diagnosed w/ Type I two weeks ago. Prior to his diagnosis, when they began their college semester, they had three types of mold in their dorm rooms, caused by a hurricane this summer. He was very ill and had numerous chest infections and fevers until they finally removed them from the week two weeks before his 26 lb weight loss and diagnosis. I thought it was the mold exposure, as symptoms were similiar, and we have no diabetes in the family. Was shocked to hear of his diagnosis and still believe the mold sparked it. Please let me know if you find any more information on this. gonzaldk@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi there. I googled type 1 and mold and came across this. We are battling mold in our military housing in VA and our 2 year old son was diangosed back in september with type 1. I was wondering if there was any connection between the two things. If you found out anymore about this please email me at britbabi84@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I never made this connection before!!! Back in 2003 we moved into a house that we did not know had been flodded and repaied. The neighbors told us years later. At the time, we had a 4 month old, a 2 year old and a 14 year old. After living in the house for about a year, our youngest was dx with Type 1. I was SURE it was his 14 month vaccinations that caused it. Years went by, we moved 500 miles away. Our oldest moved into a rental that had a basement that flooded frequently when it rained. At age 20, he too was dx with type 1. BTW, in the old house, his room was in the flooded/repaired basement! The house we moved into had been totally renovated but it was an old house. It is very cold where we live now, and often rains or snows and is generally wet most of the year. A year and a half ago, our middle son was ALSO dx with type 1! Guess what? HIS room is in the lower level of this house. Our youngest also sleeps in the lower level and he was just dx with asthma ON TOP OF the type 1!! There is no diabetes on either side of our family...in fact, the oldest son and the two youngest are only biologically connected by ME, but they ALL have type 1!! I now feel that all of them have been exposed to mold triggering the immune system to kill off their islet cells! I need to investigate further...but I just feel that we may be on to something!!!!
    Thank You,
    Julie (ssgjwyf@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie,
    You are onto something for sure! these mycotoxins are so strong...enough to cause organ failure for sure. There is a doctor who is exploring this connection who is looking for families who think mold has contributed. If you would like to find out more email me
    andrea@momsaware.org.
    So nice to connect!

    ReplyDelete