Shelter from the Storm

4 comments
It's been a rough week at the "cactus compound and de-tox center" (the name for our rental home given by my husband). Lots of reminders of why we're in the middle of the desert away from civilization. A virus caught at the gym, a reaction to a perfume at a store, headaches from a used computer, etc.

I knew within a month of vacating our home that recovery would mean some major changes. I just didn't know how drastic. Our diet is so radically different I still can't believe my kids are satisfied with stir-fried brown rice and aduki beans as a main meal.

I really can't believe my kids are being taught at home by a tutor provided by the school district. I certainly would never have imagined that the highlight of my week would be my trip to the Farmer's Market around the corner.

That's our life now. For how long? I don't know. I do know that when we signed our 1-year lease in August we were committing to a season of voluntary "confinement" in order to heal from the vicious assault waged by toxic mold.

It's a risk for sure. One that I'm willing to take if there's any chance of giving my kids a second chance at life.

The Bible talks about the sparrow and assures me that I don't have to be afraid for our future, for I am "worth more than many sparrows."

I saw a sparrow not long ago. It was on our back porch during the final monsoon of the season.

We watched in silence. The bird stood so calmly. So confidently. So willingly.
Confident that the storm would pass. Certain that he was safest under our roof rather than the trees. Content to wait. Ready to fly.
I hate that my kids aren't at sleepovers and birthday parties. I miss our friends and community. I long for healthy interaction with the outside world.
But I'm confident that our bodies need this rest. Certain that our immune systems need the opportunity to heal. And I'm content to wait it out. Most days.
My greatest hope is that one day, sooner than I might expect, my children will fly again.
When they do, I hope and pray they witness the same signature we saw moments after our sparrow flew away.

(Photos by Kristen Fabry)

4 comments :

  1. God bless you all in your waiting time....may you one day look back on these days and see how God was
    steadily leading you back to health and a new life.
    That rainbow at the end was just so special!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, as I read my post here, later, I realized my error...You ARE seeing how God is leading you back to health! Sorry I didn't think how I worded that.
    I'd like to recommend a book to you, it is called 'Polishing God's Monuments,' written by a pastor whose family went through such a storm...it is very inspiring. He shared their journey with his congregation by way of a series of letters. Sorry I do not have the author's name handy, but it can be googled...I got it through Amazon.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Fabry, You are a strong lady and I know you love your family! Enjoy your time alone with your kids,husband and with God. Maybe God is preparing you to write books, like your husband or a devotional with beautiful pictures like the one of the sparrow, rainbow or of those ants you all had. Keep blogging! Thank you for the information on mold. I think you have a new career there! God Bless...Mrs. Mary Couch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comments and picture reminded me of a beautiful song we've come to know and love...

    why should I feel discouraged
    why should the shadows come
    why should my heart feel lonely
    and long for heaven and home

    when Jesus is my portion
    a constant friend is He
    His eye is on the sparrow
    and i know he watches me


    i sing because i'm happy
    i sing because i'm free
    His eye is on the sparrow
    and i know he watches me...

    A great reminder that we don't need anything more than Him. He is our constant friend, sustainer, provider and protector...our song.

    He hasn't forgotten where you are or how you got there, HE'S WATCHING OVER YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete