Congee is a rice dish, easily made in a slow cooker. Otherwise known as jook, congee is the ultimate Chinese comfort food. Historians say congee was first used during a famine as early as 210 B. C.
Congee couldn't be any easier to make!
- 1 c. rinsed rice
- 7-9 c. water (We like 7 cups. You can use as many as 12 cups.)
- Cook for 6-8 hours.
The rice expands and becomes a porridge. You can add berries, cinnamon, and honey if desired.
For lunch or dinner, chicken broth may be used in place of water.
- 8 c. unsalted chicken stock
- 1 c. rice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbs. soy sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 2 c. chicken meat
- 2 c. bok choy, coarsely chopped, or nappa cabbage