Chinese Comfort Food

8 comments

Congee is a rice dish, easily made in a slow cooker. Otherwise known as jook, congee is the ultimate Chinese comfort food. Historians say congee was first used during a famine as early as 210 B. C.

Congee couldn't be any easier to make!
  • 1 c. rinsed rice
  • 7-9 c. water (We like 7 cups. You can use as many as 12 cups.)
  • Cook for 6-8 hours.
Recipe may be doubled and cooked all night in the crockpot, and will be suitable for up to 12 people!

The rice expands and becomes a porridge. You can add berries, cinnamon, and honey if desired.

For lunch or dinner, chicken broth may be used in place of water.

Chicken Congee:
  • 8 c. unsalted chicken stock
  • 1 c. rice
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbs. grated fresh ginger
  • 1 tbs. soy sauce or Coconut Aminos
  • 2 c. chicken meat
  • 2 c. bok choy, coarsely chopped, or nappa cabbage
For a more detailed description of congee, see this article.

8 comments :

  1. Andrea, your recipe for
    Congee sounds a lot like what I've been making for quite some time...I love the variety of ways it can be fixed with different meats, vegies, etc. I make it often, too. Yes! It is amazing how 2 cups of rice can feed so many!!!!
    Blessings to you all, today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok Andrea :) I am making Congee TODAY! it's in the pot.. mine will be with beef as it was what I defrosted today... and I wasn't sure what to make with it... I will add green onions and the beef later... hmmm I am excited!
    I also like that I can make this and stick it in the crockpot and add cinnamon or berries for breakfast! :) how wonderful to not always have oatmeal or eggs :)
    another help !

    I finally got the Pritchford book you recommeded!!!!!!!!! thank you! :)
    Blessings to your family!
    you all are loved!
    <>< anika

    ReplyDelete
  3. man I can't wait to get my crock pot back and I am totally making this. It sounds like something my crew would eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They LOVED it, and tonight I am making the congee for breakfast :) they are so excited!
    thanks! i was reading about it on the links you provided and in the healing with whole foods book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great! Did you add the greens and meat (assuming it's pre-cooked) later on in the cooking process or did you dump everything in together from the start?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I threw it all in at once. From what I have read, though, you can put scallions in after you serve it. Or put any vegetable in the bowl and pour the congee on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to give this a try. I am on a total low fiber diet and not very hungry for anything. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adrea,

    This is Phoebe from homemade-chinese-soups.com. I'm glad you found my webpage on cooking porridge helpful.

    I hate mold too. I have a fungal infection on my left foot that just wouldn't go away. :(

    I am going to take your advice about adding white vinegar and baking soda to my laundry. :)

    ReplyDelete