Supplement Shopping

11 comments
My number one source of anxiety over this last year has been the issue of supplements. I would rather shop for a used car than decide which supplement to buy.

I have a hard time sorting through the promises. I can’t decide if we need it. I’m not sure what I’m looking for when I read the list of ingredients. I don’t know which company to trust. Does the most expensive option necessarily mean the best option?

The most haunting question for me: Is there some miracle supplement we’re missing?

Which has made me especially vulnerable to the promises.

One thing that has helped me sort through the supplement selection process is to rule out anything with magnesium stearate. There are opposing views on this subject. One side says the stearate scare is exaggerated. The other insists magnesium stearate is a toxin.

Magnesium stearate, stearic acid and calcium stearate are made with cottonseed or palm oil. The oils are hydrogenated and then added to the raw materials so that machinery will run faster.

Are these stearates added in levels high enough to do us harm? I don’t really need to know the answer. Much like with toxic mold, I can't lose to avoid it.

For an interesting look at the potential hazards of supplementation, see this article.

The magnesium stereate issue confirms my inclination to drink my nutrition. For those of us with digestive problems due to toxic injury, it makes sense to question the absorbability of the supplements.

Thus I have focused my attention on improving digestion rather than picking the right supplement. The lining of the gut is a delicate membrane and the wall behind it contains 80% of the immune system.

One of the most affordable and potent ways to boost the digestion is raw unsalted sauerkraut. Fermented cabbage produces compounds known as isothiocyanates, which in animal studies have been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer. Fermented cabbage also produces lactobacilli, or friendly bacteria, which promote the growth of healthy flora.

We have acquired a taste for the dill sauerkraut by Rejuvenative Foods found in the refrigerated dairy or probiotic section of most health food stores.

There are many other ways to boost digestion. The simple process of chewing, for example. Drinking lots of good clean water. Chicken and beef broth. Eliminating processed foods.

This emphasis in our recovery process has saved my sanity as much as it has our health.

We still add to our diet in various ways, but I'm far more relaxed about it all.

I'm content to rebuild our digestive tracts, and our lives, one lactobacillus at a time.

11 comments :

  1. How much sauerkraut do you have to eat?

    Cynthia Singleton
    Aynor, S.C. Lttle town before you get to Myrtle Beach, S.C.

    I've being listening to Chris'S show since day one. I lost my husband in an accident at work 22 years ago. I had an eight week old baby girl and two and half year old son. I am now 49 will be 50 on April 5 and I am proud to say that I am sane. I found out how real God is!!!!!!!!! I have been hurt so much by your day in and day out life that I have be humbled. I have cried and ask God how much can she take. It's true He gives you what you need to get through to make us more like Him. I don't mind telling you there where days when I didn't want to be like Him. It is a very, very to me that I can talk to that way and He understands. I just need He to understand!!!!! I admire no other human more than you! You just keep taking it and taking it. Sometimes I didn't even want to read your blog, I didn't want to hurt!!!!!


    I'm here, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia,
    From what I understand only a couple of tablespoons at a time is needed. That's all we eat and we've been helped.
    Thank you so much for your compassion, Cynthia. I know it comes out of your own sorrow. Thank you for sharing.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting about the sauerkraut because Ritchie Shoemaker writes in Mold Warriors about a mold-sensitized patient reacting to sauerkraut because of the fermentation. I guess it just shows how different we all are! I don't think I've ever eaten sauerkraut at all so I can't comment on it personally.

    I'm trying to figure out the supplement maze too. My doctor feels that I am not absorbing much due to intestinal issues, but he does have me taking saccharomyces boulardii 3x per day, acidophilus 1x per day, Psorinoheel (homeopathic med), Temper Fire (Chinese med), and I also take ginger and peppermint oil capsules. I get glutathione, magnesium, trace minerals, and vitamin C from IVs.

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph,
    I forgot to specify.(and just changed the post, so thank you.) The sauerkraut must be raw and unsalted. I take this from Paul Pitchford's book "Healing with Whole Foods" and other sources.
    According to Pitchford,"Certain fermented and yeasted foods can promote yeasts in the digestive tract. This is due to a 'cross-over sensitivity' between these foods and the candida yeast...Regular consumption of raw saltless sauerkraut, which can include seaweeds, garlic, and other vegetables, in addition to cabbage, is highly recommended to candida sufferers. It establishes the beneficial acidophilus culture in the digestive tract. If such a sauerkraut is not used, then an intenstinal bioculture supplement should be taken with a daily meal."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great information! Thanks! So glad the sauerkraut is helpful to you...I have a cabbage in my fridge just waiting for me to chop it up and pound it into its little jars. Truly amazing how key digestion is to our health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any thoughts on wheatgrass juice? I'm reading outdoor-grown is less likely to have mold (http://www.dynamicgreens.com/dynamic-greens-wheatgrass-juice.html), and wheatgrass has great detox and alkalinity benefits. For now, maybe broccoli is safest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that website! Growing it outdoors makes sense! I agree, it's better to stick with the known until you find something you feel good about. We've done fine on wheatgrass so far but I'm going to explore this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Andrea,

    It's Cary. I don't know if you remember me, but we had exchanged some messages re: bentonite clay, activated charcoal (AC), etc. Thanks again for all the tips. The AC is great!

    I haven't had a chance to buy the other stuff yet or go online for some time now b/c our family was sick with Bronchitis for quite a while and since I have Asthma, it's been especially challenging on me (it sent me to the ER 3 times...the 3rd time was due to a severe allergy to an Rx that could've been avoided if the hospital AND local pharmacy would've simply cross-checked my allgeries (which was clearly noted on my ER chart and pharmacy Rx script) against their Rx/Allergy computer system.

    My severe allergy, combined with many, many other countless physician and hospital mistakes, has made my distrust in our "wonderful" healthcare system grow even more.

    I was helped more by natural remedies (that I found on my own) than I have by MD's. So, needless to say, I'm in the process of finding a Naturopath while at the same time praying for a full recovery. A LOT of people are getting sick with Bronchitis these days. I hope you/your family have been able to avoid it altogether. And I pray that the Cold/Flu season will be over soon.

    Anyway, I haven't had a chance to keep up with emails, blogs, etc. in over 6 weeks b/c I've been so busy trying to get better. However, I just took a brief look at your latest posts and noticed that you wrote about consuming "sauerkraut" to enhance digestion.

    If I recall correctly, I believe you had spoken about having thyroid issues in a previous post. If anyone in your family is Hypothyroid, sauerkraut is contra-indicated for hypothyroid patients.

    I had read about this online a few months ago, and although I couldn't find the original article, I did a quick google search and found similar info on another website. Here's the info and the link:

    "Avoid brassica vegetables/the cabbage family - they contain substances called 'goitrogens' that are anti-thyroid, blocking your use of iodine; this includes broccoli, cabbage, sauerkraut, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, turnip etc - also avoid soya beans, peanuts, pine nuts and millet for the same reason."

    http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/42/89/

    Blessings & Peace to you/your family.

    Cary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I'm familiar with the properties concerning iodine. They also have a Vegi-delite that includes beets, carrots, along with cabbage that might be better for some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cary and Andrea,

    Because I eat sauerkraut and am also hypothyroid, I have researched this extensively. Some say that fermentation neutralizes goitrogens, some say it does not. However, even those who say goitrogens are not neutralized say that a small amount is not harmful.

    This quote is from http://www.westonaprice.org/Bearers-of-the-Cross-Crucifers-in-the-Context-of-Traditional-Diets-and-Modern-Science.html

    "Fermentation does not neutralize the goitrogens in crucifers. When foods like sauerkraut are consumed as condiments, however, the small amount of goitrogens within them is not harmful if one's diet is adequate in iodine."

    Personally, I have found the use of sauerkraut to be EXTREMELY beneficial to my digestion and has caused my thyroid no more problems than it already had! :) I have also not had sauerkraut in about two months and have not noticed in improvement in my thyroid. I think for me there is much more good than harm done.

    ReplyDelete