Cancer and Fungus

11 comments
The mycotoxin aflatoxin is recognized by the World Health Organization as a known carcinogen. Aflatoxins are produced by numerous species of the mold aspergillus. This reality propels my determination to proactively and aggressively respond to our high toxic mold exposure. Cancer looms as a possibility for everyone, but since our family tested positive for aflatoxins, the reality hits even closer to home.

This week the Reuters news agency reported a link between a common antifungal drug and reduced growth of tumors in mice. The following press release was issued on Monday, April 12:

A common antifungal drug can slow tumors growing in mice and should be investigated as a potentially cheap and easy way to fight cancer in people, researchers reported on Monday.

Although it did not completely wipe out the tumors, the drug called itraconazole may boost the effects of other drugs, the researchers reported in the journal Cancer Cell.

Itraconazole is marketed under the brand name Sporanox by Johnson & Johnson subsidiary Janssen Pharmaceutica, mostly for treating a fungal infection called aspergillus.

The drug affects a so-called cascade of effects through a molecular pathway called Hedgehog, the researchers reported.

The researchers at Stanford University in California were looking for potential cancer drugs. They know that the Hedgehog pathway is involved in the development of cancer, so they looked for drugs that interfere with it.

"There is a fairly broad range of tumors in which this molecular cascade, called the Hedgehog pathway, plays an important role," Stanford's Philip Beachy, who worked on the study, said in a statement.

"The virtue of screening existing drugs is that you already have all the information about dosage and toxicity, and you can move into clinical trials fairly readily."

The researchers looked at 2,400 different drugs in a so-called library of drugs that had either been tested in people or already approved by the Food and Drug Administration, looking at the mechanism of action. The least toxic one they found was itraconazole.

"Itraconazole has been studied for nearly 25 years, and we therefore have a good understanding of its safety and potential side effects," the researchers wrote.

They tested mice and found an oral solution of itraconazole significantly slowed the growth of tumors injected under the skin. Untreated mice grew giant tumors during the same time and were euthanized.

Testing mice this way is far different from the natural development of cancer in people, but the drug should be tested in cancer patients, the researchers said.

"It might be possible with two compounds to achieve a more potent block at even lower drug concentrations," said Beachy. "If so, it's possible that there is a population of patients that can be treated relatively soon."

A more controversial theory suggests an even stronger link between cancer and fungus. Italian oncologist Dr. Tullio Simoncini believes cancer is a fungus and has treated patients with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). A documentary by Massimo Mazzucco examines Simoncini's hypothesis in detail. Excerpts of this documentary can be viewed here.

Studies also link cancer prevention with the antifungal hero chlorophyll. Chlorophyll and its derivative chlorophyllin have been found to be effective in limiting the absorption of aflatoxins in humans. One such study was released in December of last year. Another was released in 2001 by Johns Hopkins University. Those who took chlorophyllin showed a 55 percent reduction in aflatoxin-DNA damage.

Research and studies abound on the subject of cancer. Treatment is more often the focus than identifying the cause. The fact that fungus has been implicated as a possible link is a valuable reminder that indoor air quality and diet are important issues, worthy of our attention.

11 comments :

  1. Good info Andrea. At least the link between fungus and cancer are continuing to be explored, with possible treatments being developed. kt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Andrea, that is great information. I am so glad the medical field is starting to look into these connections maybe one day it will be common place to ask environmental questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading about this lately, I just started baking soda myself. Your blog is great, I wish I could print your posts and show my family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am personally convinced that mold/fungus can cause cancer. Here are three personal experiences.

    1)Real Time Labs found ochratoxins (a mold byproduct)in my urine. Dr. Hooper at the lab warned me that it has been linked to bladder cancer. A urologist found that I have interstitial cystitis, which is a bladder wall inflammation. It can cause intermittent incontinence. I read that one suspected cause,(among many others such as spicy foods for some people), can be fungus! Sometimes it develops into bladder cancer.

    Also, my 93 year old grandmother stayed in our apartment(with 3 bad water leaks)for 3 weeks in 2001. In 2002, she died of bladder cancer. A co-incidence?

    2) When i was leaving my moldy environment, i had a mammogram for an uncomfortable area in my left breast. A suspicious area was noted. I had a follow up mammogram weeks later. I had moved to an apt with hardly any mold, and this time, the mammogram found nothing. My symptoms had also subsided.

    3) Also, my aunt died of cancer at age 39. It started where she had her appendix out years before. She also had her basement flood. Her son remembers his stuffed bear floating around in the basement at least twice. I suspect there's a connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. please tell me again how to add baking soda to my diet - is there a special way to do this? is there a way i should avoid? thanks! maribeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maribeth,
    I was stunned to read all of the cancer stories you shared. Thanks for sharing them.

    I don't know on the baking soda question.

    Are you familiar with a product called Tri-Salts? This has calcium, magnesium, and potassium carbonate. It is not sodium bicarbonate. It is designed to neutralize increased acidity.

    I also know that 2 tablespoons of baking soda mixed with 2 quarts of water creates a cheap and natural douche and is recommended for candida.

    I have not tried a sodium bicarbonate tablet. I would want to make sure it's aluminum free before trying one.

    Just thoughts. Great question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I would want to know, before I used baking soda, how the sodium level in it would affect me. I have issues with fluid retention, and have to watch my sodium intake.
    Does anyone know if baking soda would increase sodium?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Citrus Heights, CA (near Sacramento) during a public forum held by former CA Senator Deborah Ortiz, which coincidently was taped by area news media, as a Bio-Health Research Psychologist I stated very clearly that various types of mold DNA integrated with human DNA structure provides very strong evidence that mutated human/animal cancers are formulated by this process. The audience stood up to applaude this revelation, and the news media was informed never to report it.

    Dr. AV Costantini, "Breast Cancer: Hope at Last" states on Pg.4:

    MYCOTOXINS-FRIENDS?
    "As many as 1,000 compounds, classifiable as mycotoxins, were studied by the pharmacology industry as potential antibiotics in the 1930s and 1940s only to be discarded as being too toxic for higher life forms to be of value in treating bacterial diseases in humans.

    The mycotoxin cyclosporin used for Transplantation causes cancer and atherosclerosis, complete with hyperlipidemia, in ALL humans who have received it. Many others develop gout and other diseases."

    Costantini, AV (1998). Germany. Head (retired) WHO, Collaborating Center for Mycotoxins in Food, Division of Clinical Chemistry, Dept. of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Albert Ludwigs University, Clinical Professorial Faculty (retired) University of California, School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA USA

    Dr. Costantini confirms this in another section of this same book, Pg. 111:

    CLINICAL PERSPECTIVE

    There have even been reports of fungal cells growing out of cancer cells. The existence of a viable fungal sub-forms—with its DNA co-mixed with a human's own DNA—could well explain the bizarre appearance of the DNA in cancer cells. Support for such a "science fiction" type scenario is found in the observation that a lectin staining procedure, used to find "invisible" fungi in tissue specimens, happens to identify breast cancer cells. Normal cells do not stain with these same lectin staining procedures.

    The lectin stain is also taken up by strange multinucleated giant cells which suggests that these cells may, in fact, be fungal cells. This could explain the presence of oxalates in breast cancer tissue, a metabolite produced by fungi and not by humans. (Costantini [1989]).

    Aflatoxin carcinogenicity

    After ingestion, aflatoxin is metabolized by cytochrome p450 group of enzymes in the liver, where it is converted to many metabolic products like aflatoxicol, aflatoxin Q1, aflatoxin P1, and aflatoxin M1, depending on the genetic predisposition of the species. Along with the above another metabolite called aflatoxin 8,9 epoxide is also formed. The amount of this metabolite decides the species susceptibility as this can induce mutations by intercalating in to DNA ,by forming an adduct with guanine moiety in the DNA (Smela. et al 2001). This intercalation of Epoxide causes a G T transversion at codon 249 in p53 gene in liver, which may lead to hepatic carcinoma. This was observed in most of the experimental models, and it is presumed that this is the major reason for aflatoxin carcinogenecity (Katherine et al 1997 , Railey et al 97).
    Source: http://www.ariapistachio.com/aflatoxin_about.html

    Visit "Google" and Type: "fungi p53attack by Aflatoxin B1 p450" and read the various research articles on this very subject.

    Final thought. Alcohol is created as a fertilized product of microfungi so also are all cancer cells fermented. Food for thought.

    Douglas R. Haney, CCJP
    Author: "Toxic Mold! Toxic Enemy!"
    Douglas_Haney52@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your blog!! This is just what I needed to read- My Mom passed away a year ago from "lung cancer", although after 2 bronchoscopies, they still found ZERO cancer cells...baffling the doctors, and my family and I.... yet she was diagnosed with final stage, rapid-growth lung cancer. She passed away 1.5 months after the tumour the size of a football was found, wrapped around her lung, her esophagus, and mangled around her organs. She passed away 2 days after getting her first and only radiation treatment. She couldn't swallow anything, couldn't eat, as the "tumour" grew so fast around her esophagus... but the day after radiation, she began to swallow apple sauce! She passed away less than 2 days after the radiation.

    When my Mom passed away, I moved into her house, where my younger brother lived for 13 years with Mom. My brother has been ill for years, all the symptoms you listed in one of your posts. I began getting very sick shortly after moving in, and have had one long sinus infection for a year now. I constantly smell mold. I told my doctor this, but he didn't say a word. I am getting a catscan tomorrow, and the ENT is going to take a look. The doctor did see soemthing "growing" in my sinuses, and it has felt like soemthign is growing inside me for a long time. I have had a difficult time swalling for almost a year... and, like my brother, all those symptoms you listed. I thought it strange, that I and my brother would be exhibiting the same symptoms as our Mom- so I began to wonder, was there mold growing in my Mom's house? This is all just too much to be a coincidence! I read your blog about the Italian Oncologist who believes cancer is called by fungus, and I have also seen several articles where peopel with cancer turned out to have mold in their house, as well as cases where some people had been misdiagnosed with cancer when it was fungus- since the two exhibit similar symptoms, particularly when it comes to lung cancer.

    You have given me more to go on! Thanks- I will pursue this with a vengeance and get to the bottom of all this! I was never convinced my Mom had cancer...... and now I have even more fire in this theory!

    Be blessed,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonya,
    I'm so sorry to read this about your mom. You are so right to consider mold as the culprit. Are you still living in the home? Let me know if I can help in any way.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sonja's comments brought back all the memories for me with my husband.
    In his case, he was diagnosed with Sarcoma, one of the rarest forms of cancer, maybe THE rarest....usually this is diagnosed in much younger people, the doctor said.
    The tumor that we first noticed, since it was obvious and growing by leaps and bounds, was on his bicep muscle....when biopsied it proved to be "Sarcoma." It went from
    there into his lungs. My thought was that it probably actually began in his lung and metasticized to his muscle. But what do I know. He had done the mold clean up in our
    little Georgia house (that had been a barn originally) without protecting himself....what did we know? Within months he had the tumor developing on his arm muscle.
    As you may remember, he died in 2005...in a few days it will be 6 years that he has been gone...and I continue to have respiratory issues and some MCS yet. (The Gupta
    program did help a lot!) Since I have never had enough money to have testing done, I sometimes feel like a walking time bomb, myself, given that my husband and I both
    lived in that mold-house for the same amount of time (two years). These are my updated thoughts for you....your blog posts really make a person THINK!!! But, alas, when
    there is no money for testing and help, we do what we can, day to day. I feel that it is never enough.
    My best to you!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete