Top 10 Christmas Gifts for the Health-Conscious Cook

17 comments
One thing I've learned this year is the value of good tools for culinary success. Thus, I've compiled a list of my favorite kitchen appliances/tools for healthy eating.

(All links are to Amazon.com for simplicity. Better prices may be found elsewhere.)

1. Food Dehydrator (approx. $190)

If I had to choose one appliance, it would be the food dehydrator. From beef jerky to herb drying, from fruit leathers to flax crackers, the versatility of the dehydrator is immeasurable. We dehydrate sprouted seeds, make kale chips, and use it to make yogurt. We even resurrected a moisture-ridden iPod with our dehydrator!

The Excalibur brand consistently has positive reviews. We have the 9-tray model, which works well for yogurt making, allowing plenty of room for tall mason jars. The ParaFlexx non-stick drying sheets are great to have as well.

2. Vitamix ($398-$498)

We use ours every day and have not even begun to explore the versatility of this appliance. It's a food processor, smoothie maker, flour grinder, and much more. We've used it to make nut butters, puree soups, and blend coconut milk. You can make a green juice by blending the greens and then straining through a nut milk bag. That may make Vitamix a better choice if you have to choose between a juicer and this product. Vitamix is extremely durable and easy to clean. Blendtec offers a similar product. The website Perfect Smoothie offers an interesting comparison of the two.

3. Juicer ($260-$480)

We began our juicing journey with a simple $40 juicer and had great success with it. When juicing became a regular habit we invested in the Green Star Juicer. This juicer has surpassed my expectations. There is very little waste with the Green Star, thanks to the twin gear technology. The twin gears make it safe to use and easy to reassemble. The Omega J8005 Juicer is more affordable ($260 as opposed to $480) and also gets great reviews.

4. Food Processor ($45-$170)

We use our food processor multiple times a day. A food processor cannot be beat for chopping vegetables. I can't imagine life without one! According to the website Consumer Search, the best budget food processor is the Hamilton Beach Chef Prep for less than $45. The best overall processor, according to reviewers, is the Cuisinart Prep 11 Plus for approximately $170.

5. Immersion Blender ($30)

Our family uses this tool 20-30 times per day. It's great for pureeing individual portions of soup. I use it to dissolve yogurt starter into warm milk as well as mixing eggs for egg dishes. I can't imagine our kitchen without it.

6. Coffee Grinder ($18)

This tool is useful for grinding spices, seeds, nuts, and herbs. We have tried a variety of models. They seem to break easily. So far, this is our favorite.

7. Shovel ($8)

This is a great tool for scooping up chopped vegetables and transporting them from the cutting board to the pot. It can also be used for clearing up food debris.

8. Funnel ($8)

Mason jars abound in our kitchen, and this funnel makes the transfer of liquids a breeze. This is a must-have for making soup broths, transferring oils between containers, pouring kefirs, and more. Add a mesh strainer and you can filter as you transfer.

9. Knife  ($50-$300)

A dependable knife is critical. A chef's knife and paring knife make a good pair. Global is an outstanding brand. Other recommended brands include Wusthof and J.A. Henckels.

10. Fermentation Jar or Crock

Proper equipment is essential for fermentation. Consider the Harsch Crock, or a jar with an airlock for fermented vegetables. Pickl-It has an excellent selection of jar sizes. Fido jars work well for fruit chutneys, condiments, as well as cultured vegetables.



I took a risk last year and took a break from all our supplements. With the lack of insurance coverage and uncertainty that our compromised digestive systems were absorbing the nutrients, it made sense to try to get our nutritional boost from live, fresh foods. With the money we saved on supplements, I slowly bought each of these tools. I was intimidated with each new one. Most of them sat unopened for weeks.

Slowly I ventured into the new foods.

It's been a year of trial and error, but the experiment has more than paid for itself. We're slowly improving and enjoying more stable lives, thanks to nourishing foods.

As for me and Christmas, I'm hoping for the Cuisinart Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt Maker to make kefir ice cream. Either that or a week in Hawaii. With my dehydrator, of course.

17 comments :

  1. I would love to spend a week at your house and learn all your techniques and recipes...ok maybe it would take more like a month at your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Andrea!!! I want to get the spiral slicer and vitamix eventually. Have to save a little. Your family definitely inspires me to make better choices in feeding my own family! Blessings to all of you always!
    Joycelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) HaHa! Hold out for Hawaii! Great list. (and yes, I too am intimidated by so much of this but pressing on...

    blessings, kt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are traditional clay bakers safe to use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear a great deal of conflicting information about cooking products in general.

    It seems to me that untreated, natural clay is one of the best options. Here is a product line I have not tried but I think looks excellent. (I'm sure there are others)

    http://www.edenhome.com/t-EH_categoryLanding_eco-cookware.aspx#whyOrganic

    When it comes to toxic free living, I just try to do my best with what I know....and accept the reality that it's pretty tough to achieve 100% toxic free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend has a champion juicer. She makes sorbet with plain frozen banana or even frozen watermelon. It tastes delicious right out of the juicer.

    Champion Juicer - Standard Household Juicer White 701842111311
    The advertising says: "Try pressing frozen pieces of banana down the feed tube to make instant all-fruit ice. The included recipe book explains how to produce juices, sauces, sorbets, nut butters, and baby foods."
    $209.00

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are iron frying pans and pyrex baking dishes safe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel best about clear glass products like Pyrex. We use cast iron...but I've seen some conflicting information on it. On the positive side, I've read that cast iron boosts the iron content of foods.
    My biggest concern has been Teflon and other non-stick cookware.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking about getting a Vitamix but am still in the process of reading reviews and doing more research. Anyway, some of the reviewers mentioned the plastic jug, and this concerned me even before I read the reviews. What do you think of that? Also, do you do anything else with it other than what you posted?

    We purchased the Omega 8006 juicer in September and absolutely love it! I have used it every day (except Thanksgiving because we were out of town). All of my children drink the juice, in fact carrot juice is my 6 month old baby's first food. I juice almost every kind of veggie as well as green apples, lemons, limes, garlic, ginger, and cranberries. It's also super easy to clean.

    My husband just made his own jerky in our Excalibur. It turned out really good. We haven't used this enough though. If you have any healthy recipes please post them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie,
    As I understand it the container is made of BPA-Free Tritan copolyester.
    I've used it to make nut butters and seed butters. Really we haven't gone beyond the basics yet.
    I still use it every day!

    For the excalibur I just tried sprouted sunflower seeds mixed with onions, lemon juice, and salt all pureed and spread on top of nori sheets. They're still drying but so far success with the one person who tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was great, maybe feeling more adventurous to try some of these gadgets

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally broke down and bought a Vitamix. It should arrive tomorrow! Now, here is my question: I am currently soaking almonds to make nut butter. After they are soaked should I dehydrate them first before making the butter so the moisture in the almonds doesn't cause the butter to grow mold, or do you think it is fine to make the nut butter without drying the almonds? I know the vitamix recipe book will probably tell me how to make nut butter, but I doubt they mention anything about presoaking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie,
    I've not had a problem processing the soaked almonds "as is". I've had a tough time using the Vitamix for nut butter but you may get better results. It's worked best in a food processor where I can scrape the blades more thoroughly. Sometimes I've added coconut oil and the taste is wonderful.
    You'll love the Vitamix!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Andrea,

    I want to purchase an excalibur dehydrator. What model would you recommend? 3900? Also, what are your thoughts on the paraflexx sheets? Are they safe? Premium (Teflon) or Ultra (silicone)?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andrea,

    What slow cooker is better? The clay or hamilton beach? You have used both. If you could buy just one, which one would you buy and why?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The clay slow cookers are made in China...I would probably go with Hamilton Beach. I'm not sure on the Ex-Calibur model. I know that the more trays the better. You'll be surprised how often you use it. I don't know about the sheets either. I use them but honestly parchmont paper is probably a better idea. (unbleached)...great questions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate you sharing all your knowledge.

    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete