Chemical-Free by Christmas

7 comments
Taking the chemicals out of our lives has been one of the most difficult yet rewarding aspects of our family's journey. Difficult, because we learned the hard way that chemicals "hide" in products. (The term "fragrance" on an ingredient list doesn't mean one chemical; it involves a complex mixture of dozens of chemicals. Even products marketed as fragrance-free or unscented often contain a masking chemical of some kind.) Rewarding, because we have discovered so many simpler and safer ways to live.

Altering our diet in light of our health challenges has been even tougher. Transitioning from a sugar-laden diet based on convenience to one of nutrient-dense food that requires preparation time and extra energy has been an uphill battle. The rewards, however, are just as real as the food we're now eating.

The biggest frustration has been accepting the fact that we can't make these changes all at once. I spent two years feeling overwhelmed as I tried to learn new ways to cook. I didn't even know where to begin when it came to cleaning products.

In light of this daunting journey, momsAWARE has developed a 10-month program called The Natural Year Challenge. It's an opportunity to integrate healthier products and foods into your life at a pace that is manageable.

We are currently learning to make our own laundry soap in Month Two of the Household Challenge. Last month we located and purchased five basic ingredients for making our own household cleaning products.

In this month's Food Challenge, we're learning to make a nutritious meat stock. Our focus is the use of an organic, free-range chicken like the one depicted here.

(Introducing Just Sayin', an organic cartoon series featuring
the artistic talents of Ryan Fabry and the creative mind of Chris Fabry!)

Change is never easy. But when it's healthy change, it can be well worth the extra time and energy.

If you would like to join us for the Challenges, we'd love to have you! Just stop by the momsAWARE website to get started. Feel free to go at your own pace or follow along with us for the next eight months. You may be amazed to find yourself chemical-free by Christmas!

7 comments :

  1. After I showed the laundry soap video to my 11 year old daughter, she said " let's do it !"
    We did ! Thanks Andrea.
    Aban

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences with us. It is so helpful. I love your videos. I am a visual learner and they really help. You mentioned in your food challege that cooking meats slow and long is healthy. Can we us a crock pot for this? If so, what kind is best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crock pots do provide that long and slow cooking process. The only issue is the lead content that can leach through. I tested my Hamilton Beach pot and it tested out fine. This is the brand recommended for those who want to avoid the lead issue. It's always so hard to know...I am learning to slow cook in my oven at 180 degrees with my Enamaled cast iron pot...but still use my crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I called hamilton beach and they said that there ARE lead particles in there crocks. I am so leary. I didn't want to heat up my kitchen with the oven being on for so long. What options do I have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you cook in the oven at 180 degrees the kitchen stays fairly cool.
    I agree for daily use I would avoid the crock pot. I have not found any other brand that I trust. I used a clay crock pot for awhile but had more concerns about that than the traditional pots.
    There is a way to cook round roast that heats it at a very high temperature for 20 mins or so and then turns the oven off. We've tried this and it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to know how you cook the round roast. When you turn the oven off, do you keep the roast in there for awhile to continue to cook? Also, when you make beef bone stock, how long do you simmer it for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the recipe I used:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/High-Temperature-Eye-of-Round-Roast/


    I boil the bones for 12-24 hours..then let it boil down. I put in ice cube trays and pop them out when needed.

    ReplyDelete