How to Integrate Organ Meats

8 comments


My family would agree that my energy levels have improved remarkably in the last three years. I have no doubt that the liver has been a major factor. How do I integrate the organ meat?

I make capsules using desiccated liver for my kids, and indulge in raw liver myself. I also incorporate liver into meatballs, sausage, and meatloaf. (I am sure to freeze the liver ahead of time to avoid any potential parasite issues.)

A study conducted in 1951 found a strong connection between liver and fatigue. This article describes the findings.

But doesn't the liver store toxins? This is the number one concern people have about eating liver. Actually, while the liver is the center for the neutralization of toxins, it doesn't store them. Drugs, pesticides, and other toxins that are not eliminated are stored in the fatty tissues and nervous system. Instead, the liver stores critical nutrients such as vitamins A, D, E, K, B12, and folic acid.

So how do I eat raw liver?
  1. Buy liver from a trusted source, making sure it has no added hormones, is free from drugs, and is truly grass-fed.
  2. Thaw in refrigerator overnight.
  3. Process in food processor.
  4. Pour into ice cube tray and refreeze.
  5. Cut into "pills" and enjoy!
I made this video as a demonstration. Sometimes it helps to see the process!




This post shared at Healing With Food Friday.

8 comments :

  1. Wow, Andrea - very interesting!
    I would like to do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    LOVED this post. Liver is one of my favorites - (Cooked, that is!)

    I have a question in regard to selecting raw liver. I get whole chickens (with the livers) from a local farmer who raises them organic and grass-fed. Would these be good for using as raw "ice liver pills?" About how large of a "pill" do you recommend taking each day?

    Also, thanks for the article you linked on the anti-fatigue nature of liver.

    - ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beef liver is higher in Vit A than chicken liver but chicken liver has more iron! Here is a good chart that compares chicken, beef, and other livers:

    http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/livernutrients.php

    Organ meat in general is great...and it sounds like your chicken has been pasteured without hormones/drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, after watching your video I have several comments/questions:
    1. Where did you get that ice cube tray? That makes the process so easy! I can't imagine trying to pour liver into a normal ice cube tray.
    2. How did you prepare the organ meat for your kids?
    3. I'm still having trouble imagining how you eat one of your liver pills. As it thaws do you just break off small pieces and swallow them? Or do you chew them?
    4. Just an FYI: You said to buy grass fed beef, but our meat guy says to look for grass finished beef since grass fed beef can be fed corn at the end of its life to fatten it up before slaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the ice cube tray from Radiant Life:
    http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/category/s?keyword=ice+cube+tray
    I take the cubes of liver and thaw them and mix them in with ground beef. I also use the dessicated liver from Radiant Life and put into capsules for my kids.
    At first I cut off the "chips" and swallowed them...sooo easy. Now I let it thaw more and take a big spoonful but don't chew...also simple...but much faster. Good reminder on the grass finished..thanks...
    These are great questions..let me know if you have any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been buying organic liver the past few days and the kids LOVE it (they are little too) We aren't eating it raw yet but hope to soon! Thanks so much for all the info you're sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the nutritional difference in raw and cooked? Are the nutrients changes or depleted when cooked?

    Thanks so much. The videos are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I understand the nutrients change when cooked. The raw ensures the full dose of B6, B12,enzymes, etc. (although some research shows that cooking can enhance some of the nutrients. Either way is a good step.

    ReplyDelete