Homemade Deodorant Powder That Works

9 comments
One of the toughest personal care products to replace with a natural alternative is deodorant. Our family has tried virtually every option. Some of us have successfully used Tom's of Maine brand, while others like our homemade version combining arrowroot, beeswax, and coconut oil. Others, like our teenage son, have found no suitable option.

I've continued to try various blends, however, determined to stay away from the harsh chemicals and aluminum found in many deodorant products, which are easily absorbed into the lymphatic system.

We had a breakthrough last week when our son gave a thumbs-up to our newest homemade option: a deodorant powder. I adapted this recipe from the book Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles, substituting arrowroot for corn starch and adding zeolite powder. I can't say enough about this powder! The thyme and rosemary have wonderful antimicrobial properties, and the baking soda helps contain the body odor. It offers a nice "earthy" scent easily appreciated by both men and women.

Homemade Deodorant Powder

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. arrowroot (an edible starch derived from the roots of the West Indian plant known as arrowroot)
  • 1 c. baking soda
  • 1/4 c. thyme, finely powdered
  • 1/4 c. calcium bentonite clay
  • 1 tbsp. zeolite powder
  • 100 drops rosemary essential oil
  • 50 drops thyme essential oil

Combine all but the essential oils in food processor or large bowl. Whisk by hand or blend in food processor for 15 seconds. Slowly add essential oils to 7 tablespoons of the powder mix by using mortar and pestle. Add oil mixture to remaining powder and whirl in food processor for 15 seconds. Allow the mixture to sit for 3 days to allow the oils to permeate the powder. Place in small jar or shaker jar for individual use.

9 comments :

  1. This is great, Andrea! I will have to try this! Personally, I hate being smelly...Tom's of Maine doesn't always work for me. What a great idea! I know some people never use deoderant - unless they have to give a rare presentation or speech, and then they just throws the deoderant away. But this - this you could use without worry. Tahnk you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm constantly trying different recipes for deodorant it seems. My main problem is that they're so grainy under my armpits that they rub against my skin so much it hurts. Is this very grainy like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not grainy. It kind of disappears. Very light. I think you might like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I recently made my own deodorant for the 1st time and fortunately it worked like a charm! No irritation & controlled any odor! Now I just have to convince my hubby & son to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. when someone needs to remove toxins from their body, or is actively trying to "detox", will they sometimes have a stronger body odor? My 9 year old girl seems to have a problem with this and I wonder if it might have to do with previous toxin exposure?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been very true for us! The more detox...the stronger the odor...which is why this has been an issue for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog. THANKS!

    The very best deodorant I have found is Milk of Magnesia. I often add a few drops of essential oils to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found that taking "Chlorella" can help with body odor and it detoxes your body at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no success with natural deodorants, untilnI discovered The Healthy Deodorant, made by Lavanilla Laoratories.

    ReplyDelete