Continuous Brew Kombucha

8 comments
I took the plunge recently and switched from batch kombucha brewing to continuous kombucha brewing. Batch brewing involves a SCOBY, a starter, and sweetened tea. Brew for 7-10 days or so, then strain and enjoy. With continuous brewing, there is no straining. You drink 25% of the container and then refill.

For those just beginning this venture, I suggest going straight to continuous brewing. I find it MUCH easier and equally delicious.

Curious about kombucha? You're not alone. Many are discovering the benefits of probiotic beverages such as kefir, kvass, and kombucha.

What is kombucha? Kombucha is a fermented, probiotic, naturally carbonated tea, combining sweetened tea with a "mushroom" consisting of active cultures of yeast and bacteria. This mushroom is better known as a SCOBY or Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast.


Can kombucha be harmful? Unlikely, but possible. The trick is proper preparation and careful monitoring of the culture. As with any fermented food, beneficial microbes are given favorable conditions to "win out" over the harmful ones. Kombucha utilizes a starter along with the SCOBY to ensure your beverage goes in the right direction. If the mushroom turns black or the drink smells "off," discard and begin again.

It's possible to mistake a healing reaction for a harmful one. When beneficial microbes are introduced into the digestive system, the "good guys" can kill off the "bad guys." This may result in a Herxheimer Reaction. If this occurs, back off of the ferment and try again with a small amount.

In addition, some people may be sensitive to the acetaldehydes present in kombucha. It's always best to start small when consuming any fermented food.

Where can I find a SCOBY? Most batches will produce an extra SCOBY. If you have a friend who is brewing kombucha, ask them for their next "baby." Be sure to ask for some of their finished beverage to add as a starter. Starter kits that include a SCOBY are available online. Sources include:


What type of sugar and what type of tea? Any refined organic white sugar will work. Unlike water kefir which thrives on the minerals contained in unrefined sugar, kombucha does better with refined sugar. All fermented foods need a substrate, and white sugar works great for kombucha. As for tea? Black or green tea work well, but herbal teas can hinder the process. I like Pure Puer Tea.

What type of container is best? When brewing with the batch method, any glass jar will work. For continuous brewing, Kombucha Kamp offers a certified lead-free porcelain container as well as a stainless steel one. In the photo below I am using a 1.5-gallon glass dispenser with wire stand. I purchased mine at Bed Bath & Beyond for $16. A 3-gallon container is preferable.


With continuous brew, do I need to clean out the container? Once or twice a year is often enough to put the SCOBY aside and clean the container thoroughly. I recommend cleaning with raw apple cider vinegar because it cleans with no trace of chemicals. I use Vinegar of the Four Thieves.

What if my kombucha gets "off"? Because you're dealing with live organisms, the balance can veer off rather easily. It's not hard to get it back on course by making a few minor adjustments. This article titled Kombucha, the Balancing Act is an excellent resource for this.

You can do a second ferment by filling a glass container, tightening the lid, and letting it sit for 24 hours at room temperature. Add lemon, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon sticks, or any other favorite ingredient for enhanced flavor. The second ferment will add more fizz! My kids enjoy these bottles.


Continuous or batch, kombucha makes a great addition to anyone's daily routine!

8 comments :

  1. Hi Andrea,

    Thank you for this article!

    I'm wondering if you can use rooibis tea, as it is caffeine-free.

    Also, does the healthy bacteria and yeast eat up all of the sugar or will there still be a sugar content to the drink?

    Do you have a link for the bottles above and are they able to be washed in the dishwasher? Also, will they overflow if you fill then to the top?

    By the way, the ginger variety sounds great! :)

    -ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rooibos may work. It's best if no flavorings are added to any tea so that nothing interferes with the culture. You can let it go as long as you like in terms of sugar. Usually after 10 days there is no sugar left (that's a rough time frame.) I use a PH test strip to make sure it's at a 4 acidity. The bottles are safe for the dishwasher. They are designed not to overflow. Check amazon using the search term "swing top bottle."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea,
    Continuous brew...a very intriguing concept! Thanks for sharing this info with all of us!

    Beth in PA

    ReplyDelete
  4. ma,
    Cultures for Health has an excellent article on the types of tea needed. If caffeine is an issue they suggest steeping the tea in boiling water for 30-60 seconds and then straining. When you pour boiling water again, most of the caffeine will be gone. They also talk about the sugar issue.
    http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kombucha-ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea,

    Thank you so much for the replies. I found the bottles on Amazon and they look great! Thank you also for the link to Cultures for Health's article. I actually just found their site a couple weeks ago, but this article is just what I needed!

    I haven't started any fermenting yet, due to fear of mold growth, but your article and the one you mentioned in your comment above helped me understand that with proper procedures and monitoring, I can do this!

    Also, my husband & I are recovering from mold exposure (a. niger) and I'm leary of fermenting in our current environment (new environment with none of our prior belongings) It ranked as a 1.7 on the ERMI test with both a.fumigatus and a.niger appearing with a value of "3" each. I've just been worried about any of those molds growing in my ferments. We've been on a "sugar-free", fruit-free, low-grain diet (only brown rice, quinoa, and millet) along with natural antifungals and have already went through quite a bit of die-off. (4 months on the diet) I feel it would be good timing to start adding ferments, but I don't want any mold from this environment multiplying in them. Hope this makes sense.

    Thank you so much for the info you've been sharing - you have no idea how much it has helped my husband & I in our recovery process.

    -ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. ma,
    This makes a great deal of sense. If your starter is strong my guess it will overcome anything in the surrounding air. You will know right away if the ferment becomes moldy. You might consider doing a vegetable ferment in a pickl-it jar - there is no interaction with outside air with a vegetable ferment.
    Water kefir grains are quite strong. I might start with that honestly. But my guess is you'll do well with any ferment. I would start with 1 tsp when you do try it.
    I have lots of extra water kefir grains. I would be more than happy to send some along. Honestly. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on my environment/air and how it would affect my fermenting. I've been looking forward to trying a pickle-it style jar for your sauerkraut recipe, as it seems relatively easy. :) I was looking at the jars on Cultures for Health.

    Also, thank you so much for offering me some of your water kefir grains! I will definitely take you up on the offer!

    I looked at your water kefir recipe and it looks very simple. Currently I don't have any sugar in my home (I gave it away when we started the antifungal diet). I found "Wholesome" brand organic evaporated cane juice and organic dark brown sugar online. I believe my local grocery store carries these - would these be the correct sugars to use for the water kefir? Also, do I need ph strips for the water kefir?

    I'll email you with my info as soon as I gather the supplies. :)

    I'm so excited about this - just recently my husband and I have noticed that we are regaining some of our organizational abilities and I'm so encouraged that we're making progress by God's grace. I'm sure that the probiotic boost will be very instrumental in moving forward further.

    Also, do you take any vitamins/herbs for liver support that you find helpful? (We take Milk Thistle daily). We've had waves of die-off and I have to remind myself to go easy on our livers.

    -ma

    ReplyDelete
  8. you don't need the PH strips. especially with WK - it really does ferment in 48 hours. Kombucha is a bit slower so easier to drink too soon in my opinion.

    Milk thistle is number one for liver for sure. Coffee enemas have been helpful for me. I'm sure there are other herbs for liver. I eat raw liver from grassfed cows and give my kids dessicated liver from Radiant Life. (I put in capsules).

    Email me when you're ready. I totally understand what you're saying about organization!!! I was thinking this morning how much better that is for me.
    andrea@momsaware.org

    ReplyDelete