Fermented Lemonade

3 comments
Homemade whey works as the perfect "starter" for lots of fermented foods. Fruit chutney, ketchup, and homemade mayonnaise all ferment quite well when whey is used as part of the process. I recently used whey to inoculate a mixture of lemon juice, sugar, and water to create this fermented lemon punch.


I adapted the recipe found in the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. (Fallon's new book, The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care, is now available from many online booksellers.)
  • Juice of 6-8 lemons (organic is optimal)
  • 1/2 c. sucanat or other unrefined sugar such as rapadura
  • 1/4 c. homemade whey
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 8 c. filtered water
  • A bit of fresh fruit like pineapple or berries for extra flavor
Combine all ingredients in mason jar. Cap tightly. Allow to ferment at room temperature for 2-3 days. Strain if desired and refrigerate.

I used a citrus juicer to make the juicing process quick and efficient.


I use the leftover peels to create a fresh-smelling white vinegar cleaner by placing the peels in a mason jar and covering them with white vinegar. Allow to sit for 1-4 weeks. Strain and use as a general cleaner. I throw this in the bottom of my dishwasher to help my dishes come out crystal clear.


Fermented lemonade can be enjoyed by itself or combined with homemade kombucha or water kefir.

3 comments :

  1. My husband would love this idea, he is into cleaning our floor with vinegar, and boiling citrus peels on the stove . For sure, lemon peels kept in jar with white vinegar... this is one interesting experiment we would love to try.
    Thanks,
    Aban

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,

    I need your advice. I purchased a huge bushel of organic lemons. There were a few that were molded (white powdery stuff on the rind). I through those out. Now I am curious. How should I was the rest to kill any mold spores from spreading? I like to juice the whole lemon with rind and all and am worried about mold spores being on the outside rind. I also heard I could freeze the extra lemons whole to preserve them. What is your opinion?
    Thank you,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a great article on freezing lemons.
    http://theslowroasteditalian.blogspot.com/2012/04/best-way-to-preserve-lemons.html

    They can also be preserved using fermentation. Soften the lemons by rolling them opn the counter with your palm. Cut each into 4 wedges. Discard seeds. Put salt in bottom of a mason jar. Add any spices you might like. Layer the lemons up the jar and keep packing down firmly.This will release juice. Add lemon juice so that the lemons are covered. Leave some headroom in the jar. Leave on counter for a week or much longer - always making sure water covers the lemons.

    Either of these methods will work. If you think mold has gotten into a batch it is best to discard and start again.

    ReplyDelete