Preparing for a Bug-Busting Summer

Leave a Comment

A large group of ants decided to invade our bathroom recently. I quickly constructed my borax/sugar trap, and within two days the ants were gone.
Homemade Ant Trap
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon borax
Combine ingredients in small dish. Dip cotton ball in mixture. Place on jar lid or directly on floor.
I tried honey instead of sugar and didn't find it as effective. I used the whitest sugar I had for extra enticement.

After the final ant disappeared, I sprayed the area with homemade peppermint spray and sprinkled some dusting powder for added prevention.


Peppermint Spray
Fill spray bottle with water. Add 1 teaspoon liquid castile soap and 10 drops peppermint essential oil.
All-Purpose Pesticide Powder
  • 1/2 cup bay leaves
  • 1/2 cup peppermint leaves
  • 1.5 teaspoon each citrus peel, garlic powder, diatomaceous earth, cayenne pepper, pyrethrum, salt
So far, so good. It looks like any remaining ants have headed back outside. If they return, I'll be ready!

For more helpful bug-busting recipes, see momsAWARE's downloadable Pest-Punching Printout.

0 comments :

Post a Comment