Why I Stopped Using Toothpaste

Leave a Comment
I had no interest in the contents of my toothpaste until a health crisis forced me to evaluate all areas of my lifestyle—including my tooth care regimen.

I explored the ingredients found in common toothpastes and made the decision to forsake the conventional in favor of something a bit more unorthodox.

I have shared my findings and my recipe with Adrienne at Whole New Mom. The recipe is based on the findings of controversial dentist Dr. Hal Huggins, who states in his Client Education Packet:

“Over the years, one ‘tooth paste’ has won all records, and it is not really a paste. It is a powder. Salt and baking soda. About 20% salt, 80% soda, altered to taste. Some like 50/50, some 10/90 . . . the more salt the better it is for your gum. It feels like brushing your teeth with sand, yet is less abrasive than any tooth paste.”

Wondering about the abrasiveness of baking soda and salt vs. conventional toothpastes? All toothpastes have an RDA value. This radioactive dentin abrasion rating (or relative dentin abrasivity) must be tested and disclosed before approval by the FDA. Baking soda has an abrasion rating of 7, while Crest has a rating of 95. Colgate 2-in1Tartar Control/Whitening has a rating of 200. The FDA's recommended limit is 200, while the ADA (American Dental Association) sets the limit at 250.

View the recipe and learn what's in a tube of toothpaste at Why I Stopped Using Toothpaste.

0 comments :

Post a Comment