Homeowner's Lament

5 comments
I miss our brown couch. It's an interesting thing to miss in light of everything else we left behind. But it was a beautiful couch. Microfiber. Comfortable. It was a sectional and included a chaise that everyone fought over. We bought it just before our 11 year-old became very sick.A month after we pieced it together I watched this same son bang his head against it for 2 hours because he had lost his ability to walk. He had been up numerous nights with vomiting and vertigo. "I want to go run and play", he kept crying (and kept banging). Even with that vivid,horrifying memory I miss the brown couch. As I've sorted through my feelings, I realize it's not the couch I miss. It's the fact that our whole family gathered on that couch. Our older children stopped by and sat on it. We watched movies together on it. We argued on it. It's one of our dysfunctional patterns. You could set your watch to it. We would sit in the living room on a Sunday afternoon and spend 2 hours deciding what to do. It would be 4:00 before we reached a decision and then it was too late to do anything. There are other things I miss about the house. The walls leading to the game room. They're filled with the kids' school pictures. I miss the sight of Erin's 1st grade picture. And Shannon's senior picture. And Megan's 2nd grade picture with her hair pulled back.I miss seeing our little neighbor Brandi at our front door. I miss the sound of the dogs running to the back door. I miss seeing Chris come around the corner from his office to the kitchen. But, it's sure not the stuff I miss. Not at all. It's just like I've always heard and it's true. It's just stuff. And home has nothing to do with stuff.
Home is about the unseen. The intangible. The immeasurable. It's about love and warmth and relationships. Thankfully, mold has no power over these. In the end it won't matter what happens to our home with the brown couch and pictures on the walls. Because this is all leading to something much bigger. I take heart, more than ever, in the reality that "what is seen is temporary,but what is unseen is eternal."

5 comments :

  1. I like this woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, my dear friend -

    I was on Facebook and just happened to see a comment Chris left on Cindy Rojas' page about all of this ... I'm sitting here at my desk in tears, so glad to know what's happening so I can pray for you.

    I can't fathom what you're going through and don't even know what to say, except that I love you and Chris and your family, that I'm going to be praying daily for you, that I'm so proud of you for doing what has to be done for your family even though it's been so difficult, and that I - as I always have! - admire you so very much.

    I don't know if any of the kids would remember me - it's been a long time since I've seen any of you - but please tell them all hi for me, that I'm praying for them.

    You and Chris have always been special to me, Andrea. Even tho prayer is all I can offer, I'm so glad to be able to pray for you.

    Love,
    Aimee (Lilly)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Andrea,

    I just love you and Chris to death! I listened to you back in the days you did Midday Connection...and cried the day you quit. I says to my husband says I : " Noone else can do the good job Andrea did! She was so nosy with her questions and made it all so interesting!" haha

    I can't imagine what you all are going through. I have wept with Chris during his 3pm program....Chris Fabry live when he tells snippets of your lives. I am praying for you all that the Lord will restore your health. Through all of your troubles, it is made it increasingly clear just what we really treasure...and that our true treasures are stored up in heaven where neither moth
    nor rust doth corrupt. I can see why you miss the couch....that is where relationships happened fun, silly,difficult, hard times...and just soooo much of life.( sounds like a nice couch too : )

    I really enjoy listening to you on Gary Chapman's program with Chris too....we are in marraige counseling right now..just had our 7th child in July.....and hearing this program is a real blessing. I really think Satan doesn't want you and Chris ministering like you are...and that is one reason for some of these mold trials. Please know you are making such a difference in folks lives...and remain in our prayers almost constantly...

    We love you all Andrea....keep the faith...praying the Lord will surround you with His love and the knowledge you are in the palm of His hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea,

    I caught up on all that is happening in your life. My prayers are with you, Chris, and your children. I am going to ask my blog readers to include you all in their prayers too.

    God is faithful

    Blessings,
    Jen in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Andrea,
    I am praying for you and your family and want to encourage you that the dietary changes are wise. You will see dramatic results over time and will never again want to go back to "normal" eating. At least not the way the world eats.
    My husband is a pastor and we have gone through the "dark nights" over the years and know that when in the midst of them it feels like it will never end. But there is light at the end of the tunnel and you will look back at this time and be so thankful to God for allowing it because you will have grown leaps and bounds in your walk with Him. He is so faithful so hang in there sis and know that many are praying.
    Blessings, Sherry

    ReplyDelete