The only way through it

5 comments
Like the fungal colonies embedded in our skin, there's a quote from Jackson Browne embedded in my mind. While the singer/songwriter is certainly no theologian, the simplicity of the thought has provoked a great deal of comfort this last week. Especially yesterday. I missed my son's talent show Friday night. He did a dramatic interpretation of a scene from Dark Knight. I ached to see him perform. He's a senior in High School and everything this year is "his last". Amidst the pain, I knew with even greater assurance that we are in the best place we can be. We had an appointment Friday with a doctor that confirmed our decision even more and I will write more about that later. Still, this phase of our journey, though filled with answers, is long and arduous. It's relentless and it's lonely. I'd like it to be over or at least find a different, shorter way to get through. That's why Jackson Browne continues to pop into my mind. "The only way through it", he says, "is through it." There's no way around it. There's no way over it. Today I woke up and felt a bit lighter. Less overwhelmed. It's one day at a time. And there's no special protocol for 'getting through'. It's just that. Getting through. I think I can do that.

5 comments :

  1. Andrea,
    I ran into Laura R. at a restaurant on Friday night. I had heard about your mold experience, but had no idea about the extreme health problems your family has endured. I spent a lot of time on Chris and your blogs. We are praying for you and are hearts go out to you all. I had a similar desert journey a year ago. It is not fun, but somehow it confirms that God is God and we are totally reliant on Him (like it or not.)
    I am sending you an e-hug.
    Patty H. from CPC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea - I appreciate you & Chris' honesty & openness thru your struggles. Especially since over the last 2 yrs. I have been going thru some tough physical problems also. I, too, have wishes I could "be there" more for my kids and that breaks my heart. Sometimes it's all I (and my husband) can do is try to "get through it". At those times, I don't feel spiritual, I wonder where God is, but I keep reminding myself to persevere - He is still in control! Thanks for helping me feel less lonely in my struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    thanks for the song. We are going thru something simalar, and are taking it one step at a time.
    It's complecated,....but we have to just go thru it and pray God softens a hard heart,to make it flesh.
    prayers for you all,I'm so glad to see a couple that work together in crisis, and encourage each other.sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your writings-- you still inspired me. One day at a time! loveyou, Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realize this probably doesn't mean much to you in that it doesn't lessen your pain, but it seems you are growing wise the painful way, and it's kind of you to share these pearls with us your readers.

    I'm in no way going through anything like yourselves, but I'm having a tough time in my own way right now, and things as simple as the quote "the only way through it is through it", and the thought " Things are tough right nmow, and I'm ok with that" ar every helpfull to read.

    My thought and prayers are with you all!

    ReplyDelete