Promise on the Wall

8 comments
Sheep are easily led astray. If the older ones head toward disaster, the lambs always follow.

Their herding instinct, however, works in their favor when a predator is near. Rather than stay and fight, sheep flee. Together. It's their only protection, really. Stick together.

I didn't think about the nature of sheep when I asked my friend Sue to paint a verse on our entryway wall. (Nor did I think about Babylon's demise depicted in the writing on the wall at Belshazzar's feast.) It was the winter of 2001. We had moved in six months prior and I was nesting. Pregnant with our 9th child, I was excited to create a haven and refuge for our flock. Our unknowing lambs had followed us all the way to Colorado.

I knew nothing of the dark days ahead. Nothing of the predator eating away at the cellulose behind our walls. Chris suggested the verse and I loved it. It served as a loving reminder that he and I were not alone as we attempted to raise our family.

Three weeks ago I received this picture of our entryway.

"He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart." Isaiah 40:11.

I have wondered many times these last 8 months what would have happened if we had seen our predator sooner. Would our instinct to flee have been as strong? Now that I understand mold exposure and brain fog, I consider it a miracle we left at all. I credit the Shepherd's gentle staff.

It hasn't gotten easier since we left. Our days remain dark and our lambs are still suffering. Nevertheless, the promise engraved on a wall that is now lonely and haunted by silence offers light and hope to all who are tired and worn.

8 comments :

  1. What a great reminder.
    I remember loving the verses that you had on your wall. You all are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have followed your journey on the airwaves with Chris' show..and his facebook. Thank you for your transparency and willingness to share with all of us. Blessings in Christ, Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Fabry,
    I wanted to make sure you were aware of the ministry of Doug Kaufmann www.knowthecause.com . It is exclusively about mold and fungus with a daily weekday program. He would love to help your family. Please look him up. Share your story with him.
    You're in my prayers.
    Margaret Maier

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss walking through your front door! I am confident though that I will walk through your doors again, and with sheep of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the idea of a verse on the wall of your home......I know it doesn't look like He is carrying you close to his heart BUT you know and I know it isn't about what it LOOKS like. I have been praying (and I know others are) that God will guide you to His next haven for you and your family.....and I know He will.

    Take heart, ewe, Mama Sheep, The Good Shepherd will never leave you or forsake you and your lambs (or that old ram Chris :)

    My life verse is Genesis 30 Satan meant it for evil BUT GOD meant it for GOOD....that MANY might be saved. Selah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea, I have deep appreciation for you and your family, and am sp sorry as I read through your awful journey. Thanks for sharing it; so much of it is so helpful to read, and encouraging, actually.

    My sympathies to you on the recent death of your beloved mother. I am glad for her that she did not, (as she feared she might), survive with an awful post-stroke disability, but passed on at the right time.

    All best,
    Sharon Durling (Chicago)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a question. We have a wet spot at the top of the wall in our dining room. It comes and goes. And most of the time is not there. I have been noticing that food gets moldy real fast. I left a tomato on the counter and two days later it had started to get moldy. This has happened to other food items too. Is that a warning sign? My personal email is attached to this comment so that you can respond directly to me. I go back and forth to get our house tested. I am currently the only one in the house struggling health wise. Our youngest is 22 months old. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tonya,
    You can e-mail me at akfabry@comcast.net
    I can't pull up yours for some reason.
    I would definately consider getting your air tested. I think your instinct is telling you this. I always think, "What do I have to lose?" In this case you have nothing really to lose. You're just ruling this out as a source of illness. It would give you peace of mind to find out.

    ReplyDelete