Mold and Mycotoxins

5 comments
"Fungus is everywhere." If I had a dime for every time I've heard this statement I'd have enough money to pay for an air test for any of those who have said it.

My favorite use of this phrase came from a spokesperson for the FAA in regard to concerns about mold in the air traffic control tower in Atlanta. Another control tower with mold issues.

"Not to minimize the employees' concerns, but mold is everywhere, especially down here in the south."

It's true. Fungus is all around us. It's a wonderful addition to our creation. It naturally recycles plant and animal life. It's a gift.

Until it's found indoors. In high concentrations. Or in foods. In high concentrations. It helps to learn the basics of fungus in order to understand the dangers. Fungi are not plants. They are not animals. They are their own kingdom. A rather daunting realization. There are more than 1.5 million fungal species. In other words, we have a lot to learn about this kingdom. The fungus kingdom includes yeasts, molds, smuts, and mushrooms.

It's too much to tackle a kingdom in a blog entry, but there are two key characteristics of fungi worth mentioning. 1. Fungi lack chlorophyll. 2. Fungi cannot make their own food.
(This makes diet critical to recovery after an exposure and worthy of a later discussion.)

But here is the key piece of information. Fungi secrete and make a poisonous substance called a mycotoxin. Mycotoxins are toxic chemicals. Now, if we are in a building with little to no ventilation with mold growing behind the walls, mycotoxins are emitted. The fact that mold is everywhere in the world, especially the south, is no longer comforting.

According to the World Safety Organization, "The human body once exposed to a mycotoxin runs a triple risk to its toxic effects. The triple risk factors are direct toxic effect of the mycotoxin, acquisition of mutated RNAi from the mycotoxin's parent fungus, and creation of an internal biofilm, which will harbor a toxic soup of disease."

Here are some of the mycotoxins known to cause harm to mankind. Again, this is from the World Safety Organization's 17th International Environmental Safety & Health Conference & Exposition. (November 3 - 5, 2003)

DISEASES ASSOCIATED WITH VARIOUS MYCOTOXINS

Aflatoxin

Aflatoxin is one of the most potent carcinogens known to man and has been linked to a wide variety of human health problems. Aspergillus species fungi produce aflatoxin.

Ochratoxin

Ochratoxin is primarily produced by species of Penicillim and Aspergillus. Ochratoxin is damaging to the kidneys and liver and is also a suspected carcinogen. There is also evidence that it impairs the immune system.

T-2 Toxin

T-2 Toxin is trichothecene produced by species of Fusarium and is one of the more deadly toxins. If ingested in sufficient quantity, T-2 toxin can severely damage the entire digestive tract and cause rapid death due to internal hemorrhage. T-2 has been implicated in the human diseases alimentary toxic aleukia and pulmonary hemosiderosis. Damage caused by T-2 toxin is often permanent.

This is only a partial list. Other mycotoxins include: fumonisin, vomitoxin, zearalenone, gliotoxin. The mold stachybotrys emits tricothescenes.

I like what my friend Kristina said the other day when I told her we tested our air in our current home because of some slightly elevated mold counts. "Mold is always guilty until proven innocent." When we understand the biological warfare that accompanies the fungal kingdom, guilt is far better to presume than innocence.

5 comments :

  1. Very good discussion here...great tips to handle the mold problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea - We only met once and I consider it a gift from heaven above. It was August 2008 at Palmer Ridge's high school orientation. You were speaking to the nurse when I overheard you talking about your Type 1 diabetic child - the very reasons why I wanted to speak to the nurse. Our paths crossed again in the hall and that's when I introduced myself and you invited me to the get together at your home. Having just moved from MI to Monument in efforts to obtain a better quality of health for myself (I have Lyme and the humidity/mold/mildews in MI were literally killing me), I was anxious to meet other moms and make new friends. At the time, I thought it was unfortunate I was sick on the day of the get together. Having later learned that your home was toxic - I know it was God's way of protecting me from probably a life-threatening situation. His ways are not always our ways - but He is faithful and His always are always the best - Amen? Sara Goldberg told me about your move and then another Lymie in IL told me yesterday to check out your blog. WOW! I could relate on SO many, many levels. I know it has NOT been easy - but I want you to know your story is one filled with hope and courage and I know God is going to use it ALL for His glory!!!! If you ever want to come back to Monument for a visit, God has provided us an incredible home to rent and we'd be more than happy to share our blessing with you. It's very, very safe for you and your family - I know this because it's my safe haven - the only safe place on the planet that I know of for me.... You would be more than welcome here anytime. :) God bless you on your journey and never give up! Moriah Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moriah,
    I remember so well. So well. Simply amazing to hear your story. Please email me when you get a chance. I'd love to hear more of your story!!
    andrea@chrisfabry.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how this just spoke to me today. Jeff told me that one of the guys he has been talking to said that when cheese gets a little white it is mold and that there are hundreds of mold spores on that cheese but we just cut it off and eat it. My response to him was, "This coming from a guy who doesn't have any issue with mold, said to another guy who has no issues with mold." I was not a happy camper. When your health isn't affected by mold it is so easy to say mold is no big deal. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andea, thank you so much for this article and how you presented the information. It was just what I was looking for to give to my daughter-in-law to send to friends of theirs who suspect that mold may be the cause of their current health issues. You did another great job with this. So thankful, Emma

    ReplyDelete