A Hospital Bill and a Reminder

5 comments
I met with the finance director of a hospital last week. The blood tests from last December weren't fully covered by insurance and our debt had grown.

A $3,000 dollar bill had become $4,500 dollars, and we felt it was unwarranted.

At the time of the first bill from this hospital we were fleeing from a rental home due to pesticide exposure. Medical bills were stacking up from across the country. Our minds were fogged and we struggled just to keep track of the mail being forwarded from Colorado.

Chris handled most of the bills. I set up a payment plan for this hospital and felt confident all was in place.

We were shocked when we heard from a collections agency this last summer. Our debt from this hospital had been turned over to them. "How would you like to pay?" For two people with a spotless credit history, this question felt surreal.

With no paperwork and only their word, we set up a payment schedule.

We continued to ask for a detailed list of charges and several months later received the bill.

There was a $1,500 charge in addition to the $3,000 we owed.

Why weren't we notified by the hospital that this was being transferred? What happened to the payment plan I set up originally?

We requested a meeting with the hospital's finance director and agreed I would represent us since I was the one to set up the plan.

I walked into the hospital last Monday morning with great trepidation. My composure easily gives way to tears anytime I discuss our story.

I gave her a little of our background. I talked about losing our home and the severity of our illnesses, but quickly moved to my point.

"I set up a payment plan with the hospital and heard nothing about other charges until the collections agency called."

"That payment plan involved only one charge. These other charges were not covered under that plan. Further, it is documented that messages were left on someone's phone." She had a demeaning tone of voice. I could tell arguing was not going to help.

"If I write you a check today for what we owe, will you consider reducing this charge?"

(Chris and I agreed, no matter how stretching, it's worth paying now, rather than stringing it out over more months.)

She responded positively. She took off some of the charges. And kept others.

The trip was worthwhile. We paid the hospital and our bill with the collections agency is now at zero.

I walked away with mixed emotions. Thankful for the compromise and release of the debt.

Pained by the reality that we're in rural Arizona fighting a hospital for charges that mark tragic, horrifying events. Pained by the fact that our insurance carrier willingly paid for the 30 doctors who knew nothing about mold illness, but refused payment for the one who did.

The pain trumped my relief until I arrived home and opened a card from a friend.

Who felt led to send a gift card to our favorite health food store.

A gentle reminder.

I don't "need" our insurance company. It would be foolish to believe that.

Fairness and Justice are not in my control.

I don't have to remain stuck in despondency when something bigger and better awaits.

The book of Isaiah tells me,

He gives "a crown of beauty instead of ashes,

the oil of gladness instead of mourning,

and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair."

I'll take those health benefits any day.

5 comments :

  1. I know the grief that comes from dealing with these bills, these hospital people and these collectors.. we too have excellent credit, and have had to deal with this time and time again, for reasons out of our control... a mishap in their office, a change in management, the reasons ridiculous, and plain hurtful... We try at all costs to now hurry to hospitals that are in some respect Christian or Catholic, as we have found dealing with them easier. They have in those moments of greatest pain seen that we too were human, we were actually suffering, and extended great grace and mercy... rather than seeing us as cattle to be branded, numbered and disposed of...

    I am so thankful to know that your local healthfood store offers gift cards :)

    more so, that God is sovereign, that HE is OUR ultimate INSURANCE plan, that HE will NEVER leave us nor forsake us...Our RocK! In whom we trust... It is His money, and He will spend it as He pleases...

    you are loved, and I am thankful you share ........ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last comment is great... God is Good!








    Debt Help AZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Andrea this strikes such a cord with me. We have gotten a collection agency calling us too. Though it all worked out that feeling is just horrible *that* phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Andrea,
    Oh how my heart aches for those of us in a battle to regain our health or the health of our children. In our case, we have been battling the effects of vaccine injury/harm. A fellow, "Mother Warrior" mom just shared with me the youtube video called "Vaccine Nation." It's horrifying what is going on in our country, and around the world, to our beloved children. We have a five year old who was diagnosed with PDD (a form of autism) and we've been trying to recover her through biomedical and nutritional intervention, much like what you and your family are about, since she was 19 months old. As you mentioned in this blog, the medical community has been no help, the insurance company has been no help, and we are faced with being considered "wackos" for our many concerns for our daughter, and the methods we are using to try to regain her health. Autism is a neurological disorder and all my research keeps pointing to the health of her colon as being critical to her recovery. Also, every one of the moms I've networked with has reported a connection between their child getting autism and vaccinations. The latest stats by the CDC are 1 in 91 children are diagnosed with autism (and 1 in 58 boys).I am a Christian and I have to say my faith has never been stretched so much. I love reading your blog because even though our circumstances are different, there is a similarity about the injustice of it all. I'm pouring over the Psalms these days as I seek the LORD's help and direction. And, I pray for His deliverance for my daughter and our family (other family members have issues of asthma, ADD, GI issues, allergies, and Bipolar Disorder).
    I know this is not really the place for this sort of comment and I don't really expect you to post this. I just felt led to share with you. My heart aches. A lot. The pain and suffering we've endured - especially seeing our children suffer, needlessly, has been difficult to bear. Plus, we're "those folks" who are gluten, soy, corn, peanut, casein, dye, and sugar free. So we're odd. And it gets lonely. There's a fairly new book out called, The New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, Asthma, Allergies, and ADD by Dr. Kenneth Bock. Sadly, there IS an epidemic and so many children are being harmed. I've had to battle depression. I'm learning to cry out to God with "LORD, Your strength" or "LORD, Your peace" (I can't muster either one on my own!)in order to get through all of this. Please don't feel that you have to post this.

    Best regards and love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea,
    thank you for posting Ms. Anonymous' comments ....
    and thank you dear lady... who ever you are for sharing them.. they are such a deep encouragement to me as we too fight the good fight searching still for the cause... for the diagnoses... even though I had though I wanted to give up.. I am weary, and tired....

    it is true when He says He will never leave us Nor forsake us... and when the Word says that there is nothing we go through that others haven't gone through before... (that is a terrible version of paraphrasing... forgive me)... it breaks my heart to read your stories... and then He lifts me up when I pray for you, and leads me onward....
    ever onward...
    may the Lord continue to Bless you with His love, His mercy, His grace, as He heals you in your most inward parts, walking in the valley of the shadow of death...rememeber friends...

    It's naught but a shadow.... and your Saviors' got your back...
    you are loved!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you for the encouragement....

    ReplyDelete