Those who say "Mold is everywhere" are correct. The fungal world makes up 1/3 of the biomass of the planet. Those who suggest this means that mold can't harm you are misinformed. Mold may be a necessary part of the outdoor ecosystem, but when undetected or left untreated in an indoor environment, it becomes a serious health hazard.
Internist and toxicology specialist Dr. Michael Gray has seen hundreds of patients with a wide-ranging list of symptoms, all of whom lived, worked, or studied in a water-damaged building.
In the following 6-minute video, Dr. Gray explains why the mycotoxins associated with toxic mold are hazardous. According to Dr. Gray, these toxins have the potential to alter our DNA, an astounding fact given that the DNA molecule is one of the most stable molecules on Earth.
You do not have to be a microbiologist to follow this explanation. Dr. Gray uses layman's terms to explain why proper understanding is crucial to the health of future generations.
For another interesting perspective on the potential of mycotoxins (specifically aflatoxins) to cause DNA mutations, see the Inside Cancer Teacher website.