House Sale and Hidden Beauty

14 comments
I sent an email this week to our friends in Colorado. Not an email I expected to write.


Update from the Fabry family

I want to update all of you on the status of our home. Faced with imminent foreclosure, we elected to sell our home to a qualified remediator and team of investors. The price equaled the balance of our loan, so while we still lose our equity, we protect our credit. The home will be remediated and sold as soon as possible. We signed the papers yesterday, and if all goes well, the emptying of the home will begin this weekend.

Here's how Chris describes this most recent event:

It’s a victory of sorts for us, getting out from under the crushing weight of the house. But it’s also a loss.

This Saturday the dumpsters will arrive and everything we treasured, every Pat Conroy book that had been signed by the author, my daughter’s Taylor guitar, my first guitar I bought in tenth grade, all of our clothes, bedding, keepsakes from 27 years of marriage, Christmas ornaments, baby covers—everything we treasured will go into dumpsters.

If the bank had gotten the home, who knows how well it would have been cleaned. This really is the best scenario, but in a way it feels like getting kicked out of the Garden. I wanted to watch my daughters get married in that house. I wanted to write the Great American Novel there. I wanted to bury our dogs in the back yard.

But the hopes and dreams of ten years are going in the dumpster. The Lord gives and he takes away. Blessed be his name. The Lord drives some into the desert, to a dry and thirsty land. And souls are stirred in arid places.

We left our home 19 months ago. Our two-month “medical vacation” in Arizona has led us down a path far different than we imagined. We have made the difficult decision to begin a new life here in the desert and transfer our permanent residence. We're transferring our thirsty souls as well.

To all of our friends and supporters: I thought we would watch our kids graduate together. I assumed we would share more school plays, grade school concerts, and coffee at Wesley Owens. It’s been tough to process the loss of this dream. Even harder to help our kids do the same.

Chris, the kids, and I all know, however, that the Arizona climate is helping us progress. It's painfully slow, but we’re seeing improvement. Our difficulty lies in the fact that I have a genotype shared by 9% of the population. A type that does not “tag” biotoxins and detoxify them. Without aggressive attention these poisons remain in the body, free to wreak havoc. I carry a double genetic marker, which means each one of my children is destined to have a tough time healing from a toxic exposure.

This hasn't stopped us from trying. The kids' determination and willingness to try new foods and new treatment options amazes me.

I'd love to update you on each one. Instead I'll summarize by saying that while each one has unique physical challenges, each one is blossoming. Whether it's poetry, performing, drawing, music, or writing, their art reminds me of those first crocuses that unexpectedly poke their heads up each winter in Colorado, defying the stormy odds.

As for me, I'm slowly adjusting to this new life of ours. As many of you know, the kitchen was never my favorite place. With great inward kicking and screaming I have learned more about foods and cooking than I ever wanted to learn. I now grind flour, dehydrate almonds, sprout wheat grass, and cook quinoa. My stamina has improved a great deal in the last year to allow for this commitment. I'm still working on the brain rehabilitation.

This is not the life I would have chosen. The desert is not what I would pick. But that’s not what really matters. Only that I embrace what I’ve been given and look for the beauty in it. Hidden beauty. That's what the desert requires. Eyes to see.

That's why I love cactus flowers. Scorching temperatures. Nothing but brown, no green in sight. Thorns protruding and protecting. No hope of anything lovely. And suddenly, there it is. Unexpected beauty.

Photo by Kristen Fabry

Thanks to each one of you for sharing in our journey.

Andrea

14 comments :

  1. We will certainly miss you here in Colorado but that doesn't keep us from praying for you everyday and keeping up with you through your blogs.

    Andrew, Stephanie, Katelyn, and Alex Stevens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - how bittersweet - I hope this process brings you closure and I commend you for responsibly opting to make sure the home gets remediated properly rather than bitterly saying "scr** it, just let the bank take it - I want it over and done with"

    I pray that this new fresh chapter in your life brings peace, and most of all, health. Stay strong!

    I look forward to meeting you in Heaven some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Andrea what a blessing that you have sold the house and to people who are going to fix it before they resell it. Could you email me the name of the testing you got done to tell what your genetic type is? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the best, Mom. Seriously. That's the best blog post I've ever read. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am honored to call you my bloggin friend... I have only "virtually" met you via THIS blog.. in all likelyhood, if not for our suffering, if not for your families suffering, our paths via blog world would NEVER have crossed..
    you bless me with each post...
    and i love you and your family deeply..
    each time a friend even mentions Chris's program I get excited, and want to know all about it, because your family matters so much to me.
    wierd this internet thing is..

    praying daily for your continued healing, and for what EVER it is God is doing in you, to you, through you... because HE IS SO awesome, and what ever HE touches is simply ... amazing..

    (((hugs)))
    your daughter is right..
    fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, I cannot imagine your family's pain in losing virtually everything you had accumulated over the years. God will bless you for making the right decision in the sale of your home. This is such a difficult life we live; but thank God we have promise in the life to come! You continue to have my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea,
    I know and understand the depth of what you and your family are going through. I hope you feel my prayers for all of you. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tonya,
    The testing is HLA DR genetic testing. On the biotoxin lab order sheet it says this: "HLA Lab Corp Yellow, refrig Code: 012542 DX Codes: 279.10, 377.34,
    279.8"

    I am planning a future post on this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea,

    What a very hard time for your family.

    We did not get rid of our stuff, as we did not know to do that at the time--actually didn't learn about our mold problem for several years after we moved out of our house. In retrospect, I wish, wish, wish we had known, as I can look back and see what damage our belongings did to our kids. You are doing the right thing.

    And bravo to you for remediating instead of doing the easy thing. God will honor your decisions, I have no doubt.

    Blessings to you,

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am probably asking a very dumb question, but faced with a similar situation I'm asking anyway. Is there no way to remove/remediate from personal possessions like clothes, guitars? My grandma used to remove mildew smells that persisted through bleach and detergent by hanging them in the sun. I *refuse* to feel kicked out of the Garden...God DOES have a bigger better plan and we jsut have to be strong and get there! (Also, another friend suggested sodium chlorite. I am not too familiar but it sounds an awful lot like bleach. Anyway, my $0.02. I hope you can get through this awful week and keep a lil joy burning in the window! - Jake.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jake,
    This is an excellent question. I am preparing a post to answer this. For now let me say that if 250,000 mold spores fit on one pinhead and fungal fragments are much much smaller, then mold is very tough to clean from porous items. If an environment has not had stachybotrys in the picture, there is a greater possibility of cleaning non porous items.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In regard to the question on sodium chlorite, toxicologist Dr. Jack Thrasher has this to say,
    "It will kill the surface mold, but not the hidden and deeply rooted mold. Furthermore, it will release chlorine gases."

    I hope this helps,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea,

    I'm so proud of the move you and your family made. You guys have made the right decision.

    Thank you so much for opening up your life and creating this helpful blog. I cannot tell you how much of a help this has been to me.

    My husband and I have been living in an apartment in Chicago for 1 year now. During this time I've developed chronic sinus issues, ear pain, constant sore throat, and bronchial spasms. I'm now taking Nasonex and I have a ProAir inhaler for immediate treatment of the bronchial spasms.

    We live in a very small studio apartment with a 5x8' bathroom. The bathroom has no ventilation and we have cleaned mold off of the ceiling and shower walls now three times (using bleach - we don't know what else to use). Other areas of our apartment have yellow damage on the ceiling and we suspect mold may be growing under them as well. To top it off, the apartment maintenance team has recently decided to cut open the bathroom walls to the rear stairwell and install small vents in the showers. This stairwell leads to our laundry room and is directly connected to our apartment. My husband and I are not allowing the maintenance team to work in our bathroom as we fear the release of toxic mold spores to our tiny apartment. We're trying to move to my home state within a month, but now we're worried that we may have to discard our belongings. Do you have any guidelines on knowing if we need to discard our belongings or not?

    May the Lord bless you and your family and provide for your every need during this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have several thoughts regarding your situation and upcoming move.

    1. It will be imperative to rule out any toxic mold in a new environment. Now that you have been exposed, and have health issues, you will find that you have heightened sensitivity to mold. An ERMI test would be a good idea before signing a lease or buying a home.


    2.Good for you for connecting your health with your environment. This is an invaluable connection to make and will serve you well in the future. I also applaud your unwillingness to allow them to open up the mold without testing and containment.

    3. You can bring your most needed items with you perhaps but I would not bring them into the new environment. Start fresh with some basics and store the rest. Once you're settled you can bring things in one at a time (wiping down with peroxide and/or white vinegar) and see if you react to it. If you do fine...great. If not I would toss the item.
    Caution is ALWAYS the safest way to go.

    4. You can't lose to start over, but this is hard to do since you don't know the type of mold. Trust your instincts. You clearly have listened thus far and saved yourselves a great deal of suffering.

    I hope this helps.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete