Soul Searching and Abundance

6 comments
Sometimes it's more painful to see the toxic mold that clings to the cellulose of my heart than the stachybotrys that lies behind a wall.

As we trudge along in the brutal summer heat, and as I ponder the reality that our road is a long one, filled with seemingly endless obstacles, I am reminded that health issues don't exclude me from the reality of my human, aching, selfish heart.

Tragedy doesn't entitle me to wallow in self-pity. Financial loss doesn't allow me to demand that the world revolve around me.

I am compelled to look at myself in the mirror. I must continue to discover what it means to love those who don't understand. Do good to those who judge and speak harshly.

If I give in to the voice of despair that knocks at my door daily, or allow my heart to shrink in the face of continuing challenges, then toxic mold will have won.

And I refuse to allow a parasitic poison to have the ultimate victory over my life.

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." (John 10:10)

Chris had a book idea several years ago. Long before we ever heard the term "toxic mold." He found the idea just this week as he perused old files and notes. The idea? A book about adversity. And abundance.

Here are his notes:

I would first define abundance. It’s not material possessions or a big house, but contentment of the soul. Then, in each chapter, we’d look at Biblical characters who faced adversity (Joseph, Job, Paul), and compare those with modern-day believers who have had their teeth kicked in by life or the church or both.

The basis for the book is Psalm 66:8-12:

Praise our God, O peoples,
let the sound of his praise be heard;
he has preserved our lives
and kept our feet from slipping.

For you, O God, tested us;
you refined us like silver.

You brought us into prison
and laid burdens on our backs.

You let men ride over our heads;
we went through fire and water,
but you brought us to a place of abundance.


Abundance comes from the Latin word abundare, which means overflowing. More specifically, undare means to rise in waves.

As the waves of adversity continue to beat against the windows of our souls and I accept the reality that our weary bodies may never fully recover, I set my sights on a place where darkened hearts are made clean, prison doors are opened, and burdens are lifted.

A place of abundance.

I can't wait.

6 comments :

  1. praying for you...
    ah... for abundance for you
    for your hearts
    for your home
    for abundant healing
    body soul and mind :)

    you are such a blessing to me
    your words EVER an encouragement as we struggle and fall through our own trials...
    thankful always to Jesus..for you

    <>< anika

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear Andrea.... your words ring into my heart and my soul. we do not suffer the 'black mold' tirade you are going through ~ but from poor business choices in our life. thank you dear again, for sharing your life and laying your pain out for the world to see. Heaven rejoices in what you share about the Saviour!! blessings, melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this! Recently God has been teaching me to be content in the situation which He currently has me, and understanding that, as you said, I might never fully heal; And not focusing on life here on earth, which is simply a vapor, but on the things eternal where we will live in awe of our Lord forever! You and your blog are such a blessing an encouragement to me, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. Thank you for your post, Andrea. Your words speak to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there...your post is encouraging to me as I am a mom of a child who has been injured by vaccines. What do I do? The only way to get funds for his rehab is to go to vaccine court...I ponder this as a Christian...do I? I don't want to be bitter about this...but many times...I am....I pray that THE LORD can help me thru this, and my son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kicked in the teeth. Sounds like many of us have reluctantly joined that tribe. Now turning my gaze to abundance, not just relief or escape, but holding to hope in the darkness... thanks for the reminder. the Lord continues to speak volumes through you and c. even in the most difficult times. thanks Andrea! kt

    ReplyDelete