Listening to Our Nails

8 comments
It wasn't until we left our home that I noticed the numerous white spots or white lines on our fingernails. When I say numerous, I mean 4 or 5 spots per nail. Multiply this by 11 people and we had an epidemic! Kaitlyn mentioned it several times while we were in the house, but I thought nothing of it. We had more urgent health concerns. The condition is known as leukonychia, a term derived from the Greek words leuko ("white") and onyx ("nail"). Leukonychia can arise when the nail bed is damaged. More commonly it is linked to a zinc deficiency or other underlying immune system issue. Since toxic mold wreaks havoc with the immune system, it's no surprise our nails were covered in white spots.

Rather than focus on a zinc supplement, we focused on the malabsorption of minerals that can lead to a zinc deficiency. This is one of many reasons I learned to soak grains before cooking them. Grains contain phytic acid, which interferes with the absorption of minerals. According to Sally Fallon, author of Nourishing Traditions:

Phosphorus in the bran of whole grains is tied up in a substance called phytic acid. Phytic acid combines with iron, calcium, magnesium, copper and zinc in the intestinal tract, blocking their absorption. Whole grains also contain enzyme inhibitors that can interfere with digestion. Traditional societies usually soak or ferment their grains before eating them, processes that neutralize phytates and enzyme inhibitors and in effect, predigest grains so that all their nutrients are more available. Sprouting, overnight soaking, and old-fashioned sour leavening can accomplish this important predigestive process in our own kitchens. Many people who are allergic to grains will tolerate them well when they are prepared according to these procedures.

Since more than half of all the immune cells in our body are in the gut, it made sense to focus on the digestive tract to restore some of our mineral deficiencies, including zinc. Some of us have eliminated grains completely from our diet.The good news is the spots have virtually disappeared. We do have a few remaining spots, including these three:


Nail picking and nail biting were also an issue in the house. It didn't occur to me that this was anything but a nervous habit. Until we treated the nails with an antifungal and the nails healed. As we continue to detox the habit sometimes returns, only to abate when we add the nail treatment. We have found success with JASON's Tea Tree Oil Nail Saver. I'm also partial to Healin' Hollers Anti-Fungal Salve.

I continue to marvel at the ways our bodies let us know when something is wrong.

And the reward that comes from listening.

8 comments :

  1. I just love how you go after the cause and find a healing way to correct the maladies. Not like most doctors, who just give out another rx for every complaint. When do you get your Master or Doctrate degree in all of this??

    Wendy W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again THANK YOU so much for posting this. I of course have white marks on my nails not a lot (6 total) but enough. But the whole nail biting has been a problem with one of my kids. I too thought it was just a nervous habit but I'm going to try those anti-fugal and see if it helps heal his fingers. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did have the spots also. I only have a few now. My new doctor looked at my nails and said you should see half moons near the base. I had very little showing. Thanks for posting, interesting about soaking the grains.--Amy B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely gleaned massive amounts of useful information from this blogpost.

    Thank you, Andrea.

    -Megan M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 10 white spots on my nails, now after moving away from the mold/moldy things. I used to have many more, when I lived in the house with the most water damage. There were so many that my Dad noticed them.
    Such a good idea about the grains. Soooo much easier to soak or sprout them than to totally eliminate them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, once had many white spots on my nails, but now only have a very small one on my right index finger, the finger that I still pick at occasionally. My nails are still brittle, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I have a 3 year old son who bites his nails frequently. He started the habit out of the blue but also stutters in his speech at the same time. The two seem to be connected as both of these stopped one day for no apparent reason. Now both habits have started again. We have a church building that is full of mold. I am highly allergic that I must go to church and listen in the car via baby monitor. I see no spots on his nails. Do you know of any other evidence to support mold and nail biting? I'm wondering if it is connected in anyway. I seem to notice his nail biting worse the day after he is exposed to the mold at church.

    Thanks,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fact that you notice a correlation between his nail biting and exposure tells me you are right on track. I have learned that the body responds uniquely and creatively to exposure to harmful substances. There's nothing like a mother's instinct to guide us as we try to protect our children.

    ReplyDelete