Colin's Diagnosis: What I Wish I'd Heard

15 comments
It’s been 3 1/2 years since Colin was diagnosed with type 1 juvenile diabetes. I took him to the doctor for what I was certain was a bladder infection, due to his frequent urination. We ended up in the emergency room. Thus began our odyssey: a 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week journey into the world of keeping our child alive.

I am grateful for the compassion of doctors. “You can do anything you want in life,” the first on-call physician told my son. “Anything except drive a truck, fly an airplane, or serve in the military.” I started crying when she said this. In truth, she was talking to me, not my 7-year-old son who only wondered when the IV could be removed.

The next doctor assured me we didn’t need to change anything drastically. No big dietary changes, no social changes. In retrospect, I’m grateful for the assurances. My brain could not have handled too much change. I was trying to learn how to give shots and calculate carbs.

“Before you know it, this will become a natural part of your lives,” the next doctor consoled us.

I can’t say enough about the care we received. Kind and compassionate. Reassuring and comforting.

But there are two things I wish I had heard. Pieces to the puzzle that might have changed the course of our lives.

1. Consider your environment.

Imagine if we had heard this: “We’re not sure what triggers the onset of this disease. Environmental factors may or may not play a part. But since there is no family history of diabetes and we know there are numerous toxins in the world that put stress on a young child’s body, let me ask you, have there been any changes in your environment recently? Any type of water damage in the home, mold issues, repairs?”

“Funny you would say that,” I might have responded. “We are in the middle of a major mold remediation. We discovered and exposed this mold 7 weeks ago.” Perhaps the doctor would have been interested in the fact that our dog had been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years prior, which might have validated the environmental factor.

Had we connected the hazards of toxic mold to the diagnosis, perhaps we would have tested our home. Perhaps we would have left. Perhaps we would have been spared the next 12 months of suffering. Our other children became seriously ill within weeks of Colin’s diagnosis.

I can’t say for sure the mold caused my son’s diabetes. What I can say is it contributed to the onset. It seems plausible to me that an attacked immune system (assaulted by the same toxins found in yellow rain) can easily get confused and attack its own healthy cells.

2. Radical diet change will help.

I wish we had heard this: “No need to make any immediate dietary changes. I know this is a lot to assimilate. But when you are ready, there are numerous dietary changes that can help your son. These are difficult changes, but they will benefit him as well as every member of your family.”

If a friend had told me to cut out the sugars and refined foods, I would have inwardly rolled my eyes. If an endocrinologist had explained the stress fructose puts on the liver, I would have listened.

If a doctor had explained that gluten irritates a compromised digestive tract—something that Colin suffered severely from—I would have listened.

If a doctor had explained the incredible benefit of fresh vegetables, I would have listened.

We left our environment 15 months after Colin’s diagnosis. I wish we had left the day we came home from the hospital.

We have made the massive dietary changes. I can’t believe the difference this has made. Colin uses 75% less insulin than we used in that first year. He typically goes an entire day with less than 10 units of fast-acting insulin.

Since we left our home, and since the diet change, Colin’s migraines have disappeared. He rarely complains of abdominal pain and his rashes have improved.

He still has a life-threatening illness, but we’re managing it. And just as promised, Colin is thriving and enjoying life.

Somewhere there’s a family coping with the new diagnosis of their child. Perhaps our experience will help.

15 comments :

  1. I wish the same thing. It took years for any doctor to tell me-there's something in your environment making you sick...but at least i did have that. So much sickness and heartache could have been avoided had any one of my doctors mentioned our environment long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here to tell you what a great hour it was with you and Chris today, talking about illusions. I would like to get the podcast and share it with everyone I know -- if only they would listen.

    Once here, I saw the blog entry where you said, "If a friend had told me to cut out the sugars and refined foods, I would have inwardly rolled my eyes."

    Why????

    I'm sure you have discovered the inattention that nutrition education is given in medical school. Unless doctors do as you do and as we have done, they are no more trained to dispense nutritional advice than your average Joe.

    It has always puzzled me why people are so unwilling to be open to the advice of those who love them the most. Why wouldn't you have asked them why they believe what they do? Perhaps they have good, solid reasons for their beliefs, such as reporting what the experts have to say.

    Whenever I am frustrated at the lack of openness people seem to have, it reminds me of Mark 6:3, "Then they scoffed, 'He's just a carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon. And his sisters live right here among us." They were deeply offended and refused to believe in him.'"

    I am not being facetious, but would truly like to understand the thought process of someone who does as you said you would have done when given nutritional advice from a friend - "inwardly rolled your eyes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I should have explained this!

    I was just so used to listening to doctors. I was unaccustomed to listening to anyone else when it came to health issues. I believed the experts only. I rolled my eyes because I assumed those who were into nutrition were a bit "extreme".

    I'm not proud of this..but it's the truth.

    To have found such benefit from dietary intervention is both ironic and humbling.

    Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the explanation, Andrea. If you, who have been on Midday Connection and interview so many people on various subjects were still not "open", it doesn't give me much hope for the "regular" Christian/ church-goer. I still remember the Cheryl Townsley interviews on Midday Connection, many years ago.

    I'm sorry for the experience you and your family have had, but so thankful that you have learned from it. I hope others will be willing to take your advice and know that it is well-researched and well thought-out, with evidence to back it up.

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JohnMaribeth@yahoo.comApril 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM

    Andrea, I am still trying to figure out the gluten sensitivity problem. Please tell me all you know - or where i can look up the info. For those readers who are unfamiliar, I am talking about IgG antibodies to gluten - which I think is a type of delayed allergic reaction to gluten, which is found in certain grain products like flour and foods. Lydia (7) has IgG to gluten of over 100. (We had a blood test recently. This was an increase over 86 when she was 3.) The upper GI showed mild esophagitis and irritation of the stomach lining. (She was not exposed to musty/moldy air before the scope, but if she had been, I'm sure that she would have had worse results.) In 2009 we moved out of the moldy home and gotten rid of our stuff. She has reflux that is helped by prevacid. I think the constipation goes away on a wheat-free diet. the gastroenterologiat said that trying a gluten free diet may help. She often sees worse endoscopy results with clients who have gluten sensitivities. She has seen enough of this over the years to make a correlation between high IgG to gluten and GI issues. She said I could try to take out gluten, and see if it helps. But since she did not find really bad endoscopy results, she did not know anything more about the IgG tests/results/why it's there/what to do about it. I'm hoping you can help. Even the cleveland clinic was unhelpful in getting more info, but i should check with a medical librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We took away gluten the first year and then took away all grains. The grain-free diet has helped more than anything we've tried. I have not had him tested to see if his IgG has come down but I'm guessing it has. He rarely complains of any type of abdominal pain. Sounds radical I know but he looks forward to his lettuce wraps, stir fries, and smoothies.

    You could also try fermenting your grains. Anything to heal the gut lining. Have you tried making kefir? It's the easiest probiotic food to make and has 35 strains of probiotics.

    Just some thoughts, Maribeth. I'm sure you'll find the answers you need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very helpful, Andrea. So you don't eat brown rice either, right? But do you know why the gluten irritates the GI tract? Do you know of any more info i can read? I guess i like to know the why behind things too much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This explanation comes from an article about reproductive health and celiac disease. She's speaking about patients with a diagnoses of CD but elevated IgG sure seemed to act similarly in Colin's case.

    "When a patient with celiac disease consumes gluten an inflammatory cascade occurs primarily in the
    proximal part of small intestinal mucosa. Specifically,
    this means that the adaptive immune pathway is thought to provide the major immune response, but
    recent evidence also indicates the involvement of the
    innate immune system (6). Besides increased T lymphocytes,
    other cell types are also increased, including
    B lymphocytes, NK cells, neutrophils, eosinophils,
    macrophages and mast cells. In particular, a chronic
    recruitment of activated neutrophils is present even in
    complete remission of celiac disease (7,8).
    When celiac disease patients consume gluten, the
    inflammatory cascade is initiated within hours resulting
    in a compromise of barrier integrity, followed by
    tissue degradation and eventual inhibition of nutrient
    absorption. Celiac disease (CD) has a multifactorial pathogenesis.

    http://www.thedr.com/images/reprodisorders.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  9. As far as rice is concerned. I did a great deal of reading on both sides of this issue and resonated with the idea that rice and other gluten free grains (unless fermented) act as a sugar in the intestines. This can lead to further inflammation and feed existing pathogens. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride explains this in her GAPS teaching. (Gut and Psycology Syndrome.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry - potato flour too, right? nothing starchy?

    And thank you for that info to answer my other two questions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, potato flour is out.(according to GAPS) Coconut flour makes a great substitute for recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Andrea,
    I was going through some paper and found a Wall Street Journal article I thought you'd be interested in. It made me think of your son Colin.

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122297443409199201.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating and makes complete sense. Thanks so much for sending!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome! If you have a moment, I'm curious to know what probiotics your "mold doctor" recommends. I read an article today in Scientific American called "The Neuroscience of the Gut." It rather discouraged me...won't go into all that, but made me wonder how much good can we actually do in trying to replace gut bacteria that's been destroyed or vastly reduced.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our doctor didn't suggest a probiotic. I have researched and intereacted with numerous people on the GAPS forum and found several that I like.

    The uphill climb that rebalancing the gut flora presents is exactly the reason we have made the dramatic life changes. This road is a long one...and I'm content to be on it for as long as it takes. I have seen enough progress to keep going for several years if it takes that. Even if we're never "cured" I'm grateful to understand the workings of the gut flora. It has been life changing for us!

    The best probiotic is the kefir. We see strong die-off responses...so it's clearly working.

    Two probiotics that I recommend are Custom Probiotics 11 strains...as well as Organic3's Gut Pro. No additives.

    The other effective way to incorporate protiotics is through home colonics. This can be controversial but the founding physician of GAPS advocates enemas as a means to remove the toxins from the body. This also has been extremely effective for us.

    ReplyDelete