Looking Back, Moving Forward

9 comments
I wrote the following article last week answering the questions, “How do I cope with the losses associated with a toxic mold exposure? How do I move past the emotional devastation of losing my home, possessions, health, and often friends and family?” I wrote the article for the Global Indoor Health Network, an organization dedicated to raising awareness of the health effects of mold and other indoor contaminants. Here is the article as it appeared in their October 7, 2011 newsletter.


It’s been three years since we walked away from our home and life as we knew it. We left twenty-six years of baby boxes, heirlooms, treasured books, and precious memories behind and walked into an unknown future.

As with any catastrophe it’s hard to grasp the magnitude of such a loss until it’s broken into heart-sized pieces. We grasp the magnitude of an earthquake by looking into the eyes of an orphan aching for his mother. I feel the loss most keenly when I picture Ryan’s beloved Barney lunchbox or our firstborn’s baby book complete with locks of hair. Why is it that losing “everything” is easier to bear than the thought of Shannon’s indelible etching of “Merry Christmas” in the wood mounting of our bathroom door?

We’ve been in crisis for three years so I’ve had little time to dwell on specifics, but the gaping heartache rarely leaves. I would give anything to know what I know now and go back to the comfort of friends and “normalcy.”

I wonder how we would survive a different tragedy. There’s something unique about losing a home to toxic mold because of the loneliness that stems from the lack of understanding. If your house burns in a fire, you lose everything but insurance generally covers the cost of rebuilding. With most companies, mold is written out of the policy. The financial repercussions pale in comparison to the life-long health implications. Would a tsunami be easier?

I’ve found comfort in the biblical account of Job who lost everything, including his children. My children survived...but my dreams for them died. There have been no boils covering my body—I’ve just had debilitating memory loss. We didn’t lose fields and livestock; we lost 3/4 of an acre. Still, I relate to Job. His friends, after all, blamed him for his disaster. They accused and questioned, just like mine.

Perhaps my greatest comfort has been the epic character of Frodo in Lord of the Rings. Frodo is given a task. Little does he know the magnitude of what has been asked of him. His first step is to leave the comfort of the Shire. The further he gets, the more difficult life becomes:

“In that lonely place Frodo for the first time fully realized his homelessness and danger. He wished bitterly that his fortune had left him in the quiet and beloved Shire.”

Many days I wish I were back in my Shire. Perhaps one day I’ll stop looking back. For now I echo these thoughts of Frodo:

“How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand...there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold.”

Despite his misgivings, Frodo moves forward. He has no choice. And neither do I. This is what it means to cope: to take the next step, however small or unknown.

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.

“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

9 comments :

  1. Beautifully written. Very inspirational. Thanks, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mercy Andrea,
    Your writing is so poignant and vulnerable.
    Well done! kt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Andrea,
    God has used you as an inspiration to me.
    E.E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, you express my feelings too, and all of us who have been thru mold or chemical exposures. I wish I had your gifts of words and also of organization. I look at your writing and your making homemade products and your research and grieve for what you lost and yet marvel that you can do so much, and all to help others, your family and all of us. I just recommended your blog to someone on an mcs list who had chemical and mold exposure, telling him you are truly outstandingly helpful. Admiring you and supporting you in my thoughts, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your faithfulness to continue on the journey and use it to help others is inspirational to many of us. Thank you for being so transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a homeschool group I'm a part of, a woman recently gave birth to a baby with Down's Syndrome. They weren't expecting that and friends offered her support by sending her this story http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html I think it could also be applied to anyone having to leave behind the life they thought they'd be leading but aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for being so open and honest and vulnerable. We have not lost as many tangible items as your family has; however the loss of the ability of my spouse to be healthy due to mcs (we believe mold-related) has taken much from our small family of 3 over the last six years. The burden does not grow easier, although I still hold hope that it will some day. In the meantime, when I look at my foot and tell it to step forward into yet another day, and it simply will not move on it's own, I look up and ask my Lord to please move it for me. He truly has. Because of Him, we will keep going. Thank you for your witness to His unending love and sustaining faithfulness. I greatly appreciate being able to hear of another who faces so much of our same difficulties (down to the personal care items, the furniture issues, the housing...). It helps me to know that there is at least one family out there who understands what we are facing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post resonates deeply with me. Beautifully written? Most certainly, but then again from what I've seen you seem to leave a tangible trail of something a lot like beauty. Every one Of your posts has a fundamental humanness about them that makes it easy to understand the challenges your family is facing. It is never words on a page- your posts. I thank you for that.

    The loneliness I've felt since we fled our home a few weeks back has been acute. I miss my life. I miss having robust health and seeing my children thrive. Ive been robbed of the ability of worrying about the mundane. Unless you have walked in these shoes you simply can pry Setswana the heartache and loss coupled with the enormity of coping with failing health. I'm lonely even in my own skin. Our
    very own bodies have betrayed us.


    Yet, I'm grateful for the education I've acquired. I'm grateful for the friends I've made that tell their own version of this modern day horror story. All of us are different yet the same. We are the walking wounded, the trailblazers, the health warriors. We are the advocates for ourselves, our families and those folks who do not yet know. It's lonely but powerful and armed with this knowledge- the knowledge so many need but do not possess we forge the way ahead into our new normal, wherever that may be.

    And so I'll leave you with one of my favorite Tolkien
    quotes.....

    "Not all who wander are lost"

    ReplyDelete