Our Race for the Cure

13 comments
I ran a marathon once. I was 21 years old. I remember passing the 13-mile mark, thinking, “Halfway! All I need to do is another 13 miles. I can do it!” And I did. It took all of 3 hours and 38 minutes.

I’m running a bigger race now. It’s longer and much harder. The hardest part? I don’t know if I’m halfway. I don’t know what the finish line looks like. Is there a finish line?

I hear messages that tell me, “Of course there is a finish line!” “Your bodies can heal.” “All you need to do is _____.” “Just try _______.” “You need to have more faith.” “Have you tried _______?” Rather than words of love and encouragement, my beleaguered brain hears two words: “Try harder.”

On the other side, I hear messages that tell me to stop being so obsessed, insisting that our health issues are “not that bad.” I don’t hear relief with these words; my downcast spirit hears, “You’re crazy.”

Our race for the cure has been more traumatic than our flight from our toxic home.

It has been far lonelier, more confusing, more anxiety-producing than all of the emergency room visits and surgeries combined. Why? When I was depending on the medical community, all I had to do was get my sick children to a designated office or hospital. If I followed directions, surely a doctor would provide the magic pill and rescue us. When that fantasy died, I was left alone.

My burden as a mother increased exponentially, because suddenly I had to take responsibility for our health.

That’s when the confusion escalated. We turned to alternative health. The depth of our illness disturbed those who treated us, leaving me with the same horrifying feeling that has haunted me daily for the last 4 years. “This is your fault. The body is meant to heal.” No one said this, of course, but I felt it. (One practitioner did put words to it, suggesting that my 8-year-old son had diabetes due to “narcissism.”)

Our race continued.

“I must figure this out. It’s up to me. I must find the cure. I must!” The messages continued to intensify. I couldn’t ask my husband to carry it. He was busy trying to climb out of our deep financial hole while providing for our race.

The alternative treatments helped. Our bodies responded. We saw progress. But the race seemed unending. It became clear after 18 months that our recovery would be much longer than I anticipated.

We turned to diet as our treatment. The race only intensified.

The anxiety and confusion in the world of healing diets is staggering. “You should juice. You shouldn’t juice. Meats are good. Meats are bad. Ferments are good. Ferments are bad. You can’t. You can. You should. You shouldn’t.”

What’s a mother to do?

Try harder? Give up?

Ironically, the dietary changes have helped the most. But what about the cure? My son still has type 1 diabetes. Have I failed? Have I done everything possible for him? The questions are unending.

After a reflective few months, I have come to the realization that it’s time to stop our race for the cure.

Does that mean I’m giving up? Absolutely not. I love my kitchen “laboratory.” I’m always ready to try something new. But I’m relinquishing. I’m letting go. I’m choosing to embrace our life rather than fix it.

I’m choosing to enjoy my children just the way they are. Broken or fixed, I love them. Same with my husband and our life together. In sickness and in health. For richer, for poorer. Till death do us part.

I take heart in the words of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin:

Above all, trust in the slow work of God. We are quite naturally impatient in everything to reach the end without delay. We should like to skip the intermediate states. We are impatient of being on the way to something unknown, something new. And yet it is the law of all progress that it is made by passing through some stages of instability and that it may take a very long time.

Determination . . . perseverance . . . patience. I don’t need a cure to practice these. I don’t have to race, either. I just need to keep going. One unhurried step at a time.

13 comments :

  1. This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your words so freely. You are strong and brave, and a great mom! You are working your hardest to do what's best for your family. You forge ahead with their best interest at the top of your mind. You are doing the best you can and no one can ask for more than that. Keep your chin up. You have a Creator who loves you and you are amazing!!
    Love and prayers,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even put into words how much my husband and I relate to this post. I think it took us longer to come to this place than it did for you. We have been on the journey of chronic illness for more than twenty years. While there have been many small successes, using both the simple dietary methods plus natural and traditional methods, a "cure" has thus far eluded us. One of the things we've learned, though, is that truth is truth, no matter what our circumstances show. God is God and He loves us even when it doesn't "seem" like He's near, much less involved in our daily lives. Eating well and living as toxic-free as possible will always make sense, no matter whether it brings a complete "cure" or whether it doesn't. We have tried to explain to people that we have not "given up" on life. In fact, it's just the opposite. We are trying to enjoy everyday life, as best as we can, no matter what it looks like. God bless you as you continue this journey with your family. Sarah and Roy McCollum; Cleveland, TN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This is very timely for me...I just learned today that my lupus may be worsening. I've been reading all about diet (juicing etc) but there is conflicting advice and it is overwhelming to try to heal oneself. It's easy for the fear to take over. I don't want fear, I want to rest in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing - I forgot to mention how sorry we are that your child was called a narcissist. I think often when doctors and or other health practitioners get frustrated when a patient doesn't progress as they expected, they tend to want to take it out on them or the family -- much like the "word faith" movement that blames the Christian when they are not healed. I know it has happened to us more times than I care to remember. Thankfully, your dear little son has a Mom and Dad and siblings who love him and know his true character. He is probably much braver than he has been given credit for. Thanks again for your post and your blog. It is encouraging. ~ Sarah and Roy

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I could give the Pulitzer to one blog, I would give it to this. So well & beautifully written--and every word a pearl of truth. You are amazing, mother! I can't wait to see the day you are rewarded for all of your faithful hard work. You deserve every jewel that comes to that crown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea,
    My wife, Sarah has already posted on our behalf, and even though I cannot improve on what she said I just HAD to add how much I love and respect you and Chris. I have been sitting here trying to find the words to describe how much I relate to your post. It was heartbreakingly true to our experience.

    I have listened to you AND Chris since 1993. (WMBW) Openline and Midday were my favorites and I still have cassette tapes that I both recorded off the air and bought.

    Andrea, I even called into your show before I was properly diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomylitis. Here in America we call it Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which is a pathetic name for such a horrible illness. Imagine if your family's traumatic medical nightmare was diagnosed as, "Irritant Mold Nuisance".

    Back in 1993 on the day I called in to Midday Connection, the topic was depression, which CFS is often mistaken for. Thankfully you were there, or else you might not believe that the doctor's name was Dr. Wagemaker. Hopefully, you can now understand why I've laughed about his name for years. Sadly, he wasn't one of your better guests in my humble opinion. (I don't think he knew what to do with me or my question)

    Anyway, you were a great host and I was sad to see you leave, but glad that you were raising a Godly family.

    As my wife and I were talking about your blog, she said, "it's not that we don't hope", but as the Bible says, "hope deferred makes the heart sick". What many Christians, especially the faith-in-faith folks, fail to see, is that we are to put our hope in GOD; NOT in getting well and not in OUR faith!

    If all we do as Christians is put someone on the church prayer list, I think most will agree that we won't see miracles very often. However, to borrow from PATCH ADAMS, (one of my favorite films that everyone should see), if we treat the patient, rather than the disease, I guarantee that we will win, EVERYTIME! If just 1% of churches in America, would simply call, send a thoughtful greeting card, (preferably one without healing scripture promises) and ask them, what WE could do for THEM, we would stun them, bless them, and revival would go viral! But we must be willing to do it, until they say "Stop"!

    May God bless you and encourage all of you.
    "Openline" was a big loss, so we were really glad when CHRIS FABRY LIVE! came on. The podcasts are also a big blessing.

    Andrea (and Chris), PLEASE, PLEASE, if you are ever going to be passing through the Tennessee Valley between Knoxville and Chattanooga, you have no idea what a big thrill it would be to meet you and your family. We are less than 3min from I-75 (Cleveland, TN). We would love to fill up your gas tank (our treat), buy you some dinner and meet you. We promise, we are not psychopaths (grin), but you'd be crazy to turn down an offer like that, right?

    We love you,
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was the same way with my sons health and learning disabilities I am still working on doing things different from the worlderly way. But there came a time when I had to just give it to God He made our son in a way that He needed our son to be to change the world at a later time. Our son is 18 and is a child of God and will change the world I just have to get out of the way and let God be in control. You go girl and get a glass of ice tea and sit and relax with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was the same way with my sons health and learning disabilities I am still working on doing things different from the worlderly way. But there came a time when I had to just give it to God He made our son in a way that He needed our son to be to change the world at a later time. Our son is 18 and is a child of God and will change the world I just have to get out of the way and let God be in control. You go girl and get a glass of ice tea and sit and relax with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea,
    Thanks. What a great post! It helps to gain perspective in all our "striving"... or now, "trusting in hope".
    blessings, kt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrea,

    You are truly the most amazing mother I know. In the midst of this race, I saw you still recognizing the talents and non-health needs of each of your children. I saw you finding opportunities for them to grow in every way. You poured every ounce of yourself into curing their bodies, and still found the energy to honor them as individuals.

    Your family is blessed by you. I am blessed by your example. Thank you.

    <3 Melinda Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea I wept. It is so wonderful to have someone who undertands and believes in what we are feeling and going through. Its horrible,sad and lonely. And much more. We are quite aways behind you in our journey. Thankyou for paving the way. We need someone who is going before us, carrying the torch to come back every now and then to cheer us on and give compassion. That is what is missing on this long journey. Im sorry your family has to be on the journey but I am thankful we arent alone. I got your message,thankyou, Ill be calling.
    Bethany
    Check out my blog at moldsurvivor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you, Andrea :-)

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this a few weeks ago, but had to come back and read it today because I needed this eloquent reminder. I can't control everything in my environment, so I have to be the best steward I can and rest knowing that it is all in God's care.

    ReplyDelete