Type 1 Perspective

4 comments
It's been almost five years since our 12-year-old son Colin was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He wrote a blog last week that offers his perspective on living with this disease.

One day is all it takes to change your life. June 26th happened to be that day. The day I was diagnosed. The day that told me that life was going to be different from now on. It was the day that I found out that I, Colin Fabry, had it. Type 1 Diabetes. When I first heard it, I thought it was some type of deadly disease, or something that would never go away. I happened to be right about the latter. But although I looked upon this disease with disdain at first, I later found that there was a gift in this curse.

Coming up on five years with Diabetes, I see now that there was a reason for me having this disease. It was so that I could find a unique way to endure. And I have endured. At times, I just want to take a day off, or go a meal without testing or dosing. But I know that although life would be so much easier if I could, I also know that life would not be complete. We all have our own personalities, our own ways we do things, and our own lifestyles. Mine is living with Diabetes.

When I tell people that I have Diabetes, they usually look a little sad in the eye. Hey, it gets me attention, but it also makes me a little angry. "Why?" you would ask. Because I feel that no one should be sad about my life, lifestyle, and my disease. Usually people with a disease would also look sad and discouraged. Not me. That's why whenever someone hears that I have Diabetes, and gets the sad gleam in their eyes, it makes me a little angry. Because although, yes, it's sad that I have a disease, it shouldn't change everyone's opinion of me. I'd rather be known as Colin Fabry. Not the kid with Diabetes who does a prick here and a shot there. I want to be recognized as me.

Diabetes is a hardship that many people have to face. So whenever I do meet someone with my disease, I feel proud that I can relate to them. I feel as if we share a day. One day. One day that told both of us that nothing would ever be the same. One day. Because one day is all it takes to change your life forever. And that one day was June 26th.

4 comments :

  1. Andrea,
    I'm seeing a pattern... all your kids can write!:)
    Well done Colin. It's eye opening to read your perspective and see how you relate with others who are facing similar challenges. Kudos!
    kt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am encouraged for my daughter who has many kinds of food allergies. It's true she has endured. I feel bad. Hearing your perspective is very encouraging for me as a mom.
    Thank you. May God continue to bless you Colin as you grow in stature and in wisdom.
    Abn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing, Colin!
    You expressed yourself very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, tell Colin that his dad's #1 Fan from Elk Grove Village, IL thinks he's an AWESOME writer!!

    Susan from Elk Grove Village, IL
    moot96 AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete