MCS Accommodations

3 comments
I'm not a big fan of the term "multiple chemical sensitivity." It sounds like we get our feelings hurt easily. Or we overreact to people and places. As if it's all in our heads. Recently Chris took a trip to West Virginia. It took him 3 hotel rooms and 2 rental cars to be able to function. This is far from an imagined illness.

Dr. Mark Donohoe, an Australian doctor specializing in environmental medicine, offers the following definition in his article Multiple Chemical Sensitivity: A Medical Perspective:

"Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS) is an acquired condition in which the sufferer becomes sensitised or abnormally reactive to volatile chemicals following prolonged, recurrent or high dose exposure to volatile chemicals. The most distinctive symptom is 'cacosmia,' or a heightened sensitivity and lowered threshold to odours that most of the population find inoffensive or would not notice."

(It's important to note that toxic mold gives off volatile organic compounds. These constitute the "musty" smell.)

Dr. Donohoe goes on to say, "Specific tests such as Auditory Evoked Response Potential (AERP) testing and SPECT brain scans have shown significant changes in people suffering Multiple chemical sensitivities, and these changes are consistent with neurotoxic brain damage."

This is why I might prefer the term NBI or Neurotoxic Brain Injury rather than MCS.

A friend of mine recently sent me the following list of accommodations an organization might make in order to help those of us with MCS (NBI). As one who struggles with church attendance largely due to fragrances, a church that adopted these policies would be a breath of fresh air.

· Choose personal products that are fragrance-free. Be aware that there are hidden, long-lasting fragrances in detergents, fabric softeners, new clothing, deodorants, tissues, toilet paper, potpourris, scented candles, hair sprays, magazines, hand lotions, disposable diapers, and dishwashing liquids.

· Use only unscented soap in restrooms, and carefully wrap and dispose of chemical air "fresheners."

· Designate fragrance-free seating sections for church and community events.

· Designate smoking areas away from buildings so people don't have to pass through smoke when entering, or have smoke waft in through doorways or windows.

· Adopt a policy of using fragrance-free cleaning products.

· Provide adequate ventilation; clean furnace filters frequently.

· Make sure toxic substances are labeled, tightly sealed, and stored in a separate safe area.

· Post herbicide or insecticide application schedule in your newsletter. Post signs of treatment dates prominently. Use integrated pest management practices.

· Avoid wearing scented personal care products in public places. Improve indoor air quality simply by not wearing fragrance. Fragrance, like second-hand smoke, affects the health of those around you.

· Unscented beeswax candles are often well-tolerated by people with sensitivities. Use them as an alternative to scented or paraffin candles.

· Learn what an individual is sensitive/allergic to and make accommodations respectfully.

3 comments :

  1. As a fellow sufferer of this... I too have been researching this topic again,as of recently... I wish my attendance in church was better, and that when I was able to attend, I would be able to stay and enjoy fellowship with the many wonderful people in our body...
    I have found that most people with MCS have little problem with essential oils, particularly mild scents... and as I enjoy "smelling" nice as much as the next person, I have found that certain terra cotta discs that can be hung in a car or in a room, work lovely.. you simply drop one or two drops of the scent on the disc and let them absorb into the disc... hang up near window and enjoy.. all natural scents are lovely and fresh... Have you found any difficulties with the use of essential oils?

    How to encorporate this into a church is my dilema as well... I feel great that I found an alternative.. as I have found alternative cleaning supplies, and so forth.. how awkward to approach this.. as many people with this are seen as having "psychological issues"... often times when suggestions of "change" are made, people generally try to offer "their" solutions, which are not very well thought out, and the MCS sufferer is left defending, and explaining why, yet again, that idea won't work or this won't work.. and really one ends up feeling like they are the ones who are a burden, and are just NOT working with the bretheren... too inconveniencing and hardly the Christian way.

    Truly it leaves the person with MCS feeling more isolated than ever...I think I am so thankful for this season of suffering (granted its been more than a decade) but in it I am learning compassion, grace, and how to listen.. I can SEE how thoughtless and unaccomadating I can be... and I pray that God change that in me...

    Thank you for the list.. I am reading some books on this topic and trying to find helpful ways to adjust....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am discouraged today... I just came back from a visit with one of my doctors... he is a doctor who specializes in Environmental issues like mine.. He also is the ONLY doctor who has been able to get my Hashimoto's under control...

    We briefly discussed the issue of MCS, and he informed me that there is a big push to change the name of MCS... the new name implying "pschological/psychiatric or mental heath"... I don't know if it is the same name change to which you are referring, or if it's another side of a battle...
    So rather than dwell on sensitivities.. perhaps I will just say I am allergic...
    that is what it seems like..
    I am allergic to carpet..
    to formeldehyde (fabric stores)
    allergic to perfumes
    allergic to air freshners..
    allergic
    allergic
    allergic
    either THAT
    or I'm mentally unstable..
    or will be, if they change the name...
    ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have trouble with church attendance because of: fragrances (laundry detergents, perfumes & colognes, fabric softeners, hair spray, scented lotions), nicotine odors either on the person or left on the padded pews, and dirty HVAC systems spewing out mold spores or dust. I have thus far been unsuccessful in getting my own family to understand my limitations, let alone the public. Our problem is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity in itself is so unrecognized that, until more individuals embrace this health problem and/or until more individuals want to understand this health problem, we are out here trying to survive on our own. How do we educate the public? Even though both my husband and my son know that I have MCS, but as of yet, they have been unwilling to adopt products that cause me no harm. For example, when I take my husband back to his 18 wheeler truck in Knoxville, he cannot believe that I can still detect the deodorizer he previously used on the carpet in the said truck. I don't think that either my son nor my husband wish to or mean to be uncaring or unkind to me, but they basically do not understand. I can tolerate their scented personal products after they have been on for awhile, but as I have said before, not in an enclosed area like a car. My parents, son and I recently made a trip to my father's older sister, and although my mother knew that cologne bothered me, she thought nothing of slathering herself with scented lotion; hence, the trip was a nightmare for me: headache, blocked Eustacian tube, burning, watery eyes, etc. Older ladies at church have had their feelings hurt because they take it personally that I cannot sit beside them. Churches in my rural area are all older, and this is a high-moisture area; so I have basically been staying at home and watching televised services from Atlanta or reading online. This does not, by any means, replace fellowship with others; but until more understand and have sympathy to our plight, this is my existence.

    I therefore believe that we either need high-profile backing or we need the CDC, OSHA, and physicians and health care providers to pave the way for:

    1. Making it known how dangerous scented products are;
    2. Make MCS a recognized illness;
    3. THEN educate the public.

    ReplyDelete